Tony Andriotis is a Tokyo based Partner with Quinn Emanuel, with extensive experience in ADR, litigation, international regulatory work and bankruptcy, and has lived in Japan for over a decade. Tony has clerked for a Senior Judge at the United States Court of International Trade, has acted as a representative to Fordham Law School throughout Asia, and has taught and lectured throughout Japan. He is a frequent lecturer on International Trade Law at Waseda University, an Adjunct Professor at the Tokyo campus of Temple Law School and an Adjunct Lecturer at Keio Law School.
Tony has extensive experience in ADR and has acted on behalf of Japanese parties in JCAA, ICC, SIAC and ICDR arbitration. Specifically, among others, he has worked on behalf of a Japanese private equity fund in regards to a contractual dispute with an Australian logistics company, the Japanese subsidiary of a Swiss based pharmaceutical company in a dispute with another pharmaceutical company, a Japanese metals company in a corporate governance dispute with a South-East Asia based joint-venture partner, and a Japanese trading company in a contractual dispute with a US based military hardware manufacturer.
Tony frequently speaks on matters regarding ADR and cross-border dispute settlement throughout Asia, and is listed as an arbitrator with the Asian International Arbitration Centre, the Korean Commercial Arbitration Board, the Shenzhen Court of International Arbitration, and the database of the Japan Commercial Arbitration Association. He is also an ICC Belt & Road Ambassador.
As to international regulatory work, in the cartel space, he has represented Japanese auto-parts and capacitor manufacturers, and a major Japanese bank. He has also worked on behalf of a major Japanese trading company in an FCPA case, and he has frequently represented Japanese industrials in international trade matters.
Tony has worked on both the Enron and Lehman Brother bankruptcies, and has represented a major Japanese optics manufacturer on a bankruptcy issues related to debt collection. He has represented major international Pharmaceutical companies in regards to both class-action product liability cases, and contractual disputes.
Tony also serves as President of the Greek Chamber of Commerce in Japan, and is a Member of the Board of Governors of the European BusinessCouncil in Japan. Tony is a dual US/Greek national and holds Japanese permanent residency. He speaks conversational Greek and Japanese. He is a member of his local Rotary Club, and a Board Member of the Roppongi Bar Association.
- Fordham University School of Law
- (J.D., 2003)
- Cornell University
- (B.A., 1995)
- Hughes Hubbard & Reed:
- Counsel, Tokyo Office, 2014-2019
- Associate, New York Office, 2007-2009
- Nishimura & Asahi:
- Foreign Legal Counsel, 2010-2014
- Foreign Legal Counsel, 2010-2014
- Law Clerk for the Honorable Nicholas Tsoucalas, Senior Judge:
- United States Court of International Trade, 2005-2007
- Quoted, "Dealing with disputes under the EPA: A panel of solicitors discusses two competing systems," by Toby Waters, Eurobiz Japan, August 2019.
- Quoted, “No disputing Japan’s potential: Vying to become a hub for alternative dispute resolution,” by Toby Waters, Eurobiz Japan, August 2018.
- Interview and Feature, “Directory of Who’s Who in the World of Business in Japan: Tony Andriotis,” The Japan Times, 24 July 2018.
- Panellist and organizer, Roppongi Bar Association’s Panel on Alternative Dispute Resolution, Thomson Reuters Tokyo, 18 July 2018.
- Co-author, with Yoshimasa Furuta, Yuki Sakioka, and Michael Mroczek, “Thoughts on necessary change in Japan,” Global Arbitration Review, 23 May 2018.
- Co-author, with Joao Ribeiro-Bidaoui, Soo-Hyun Lee and Jean-Isamu Taguchi, “Settling Direct Disputes with Sovereigns: Striving for Transparency in the Settlement of Public-Private Partnership Disputes,” Journal of International Business and Law: Vol. 17: Iss. 2, Article 3 (2018).
- Quoted, “Three new European chambers of commerce start in Japan: Representing the Czech Republic, Greece and Spain,” by Gavin Blair, Eurobiz Japan, June 2017.
- Co-author, with João Ribeiro, Lee Soo-Hyun and Jean-Isamu Taguchi, “Need for clarity: Where has international arbitration failed?,” Asia Business Law Journal: Vol 1.: Iss. 6 (2017).
- Co-author, with Hitomi Iwase and Paul Dimitriadis, “When You Can’t Beat Them, Enjoin Them—Injunctive Relief for SEP Infringement,” Bloomberg BNA—International Trade Daily Bulletin: Vol. 14, Iss. 187 (2014).
- Co-author, with Masako Miyatake, “Japan's New Financial ADR System,” Bloomberg Law Reports—Alternative Dispute Resolution: Vol. 1: Iss. 2 (2010).
- President, Greek Chamber of Commerce in Japan
- Member of the Board of Governors, European Business Council in Japan
- Board member, Hellenic Lawyers Association
- Adjunct Professor of Law, Temple University - James E. Beasley School of Law (Tokyo Campus)
- Part-Time Lecturer, Keio University Law School