Dr. Nadine E. Herrmann is the Managing Partner of Quinn Emanuel’s Hamburg office and Chair of the firm's EU and German Competition Law Practice. She is a Rechtsanwältin (Germany), a Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales, a Member of the Hanseatische Rechtsanwaltskammer and is registered with the Brussels Bar (E-List). She holds a PhD in law (“Dr. iur”) and a Masters Degree from The University of Sydney.
Dr. Herrmann has broad litigation expertise, including securities/capital markets and other finance litigation, antitrust, intellectual property and other regulatory and commercial litigation at trial and appellate level. She has broad experience in litigation and investigations, representing her clients before courts and regulators (including the German Financial Supervisory Authority, the European Commission and the German Federal Cartel Office).
Dr. Herrmann has been internationally recognized as an expert litigator. She has practiced in Germany, the UK, and the United States.
Before joining Quinn Emanuel in 2012, Dr. Herrmann was a partner at Allen & Overy LLP.
In 2010, she was recognized as having one of the ‟25 leading careers” (Karriere des Jahres) in Germany by the Handelsblatt magazine and is listed in IAM 1000 as a leading attorney in Germany who is praised for her ‟keen analytical eye” and ‟impressive intellect.” In 2011, she was recommended as one of the ‟Best Lawyers” in Germany by Handelsblatt/Legal Success. Law360 named Dr. Herrmann a “Rising Star” in 2013. Chambers Europe recognized Dr. Herrmann as a ‟notable practitioner”, citing sources who say, ‟she is an impressive lawyer with notable technical expertise.” Dr. Herrmann was recognized as “Highly Recommended” for Dispute Resolution in Germany by the JUVE Handbuch 2020/2021, citing competitors who describe her as “professionally strong, personally pleasant.” The Best Lawyers in Germany/Handelsblatt (2022 Edition) ranked Dr. Herrmann for Appellate Practice, Antitrust/Competition, and Litigation.
- A group of international investors in a multibillion capital markets litigation against Volkswagen following from the “Dieselgate” scandal.
- A group of Tier 1 bondholders in litigation against HSH Nordbank AG (now: Hamburg Commercial Bank AG).
- A group of hedge funds in capital markets litigation against Porsche surrounding the failed 2008 takeover attempt of Volkswagen AG.
- A privately owned bank where Dr. Herrmann obtained a full withdrawal of regulatory action already implemented by the German Federal Financial Supervisory Authority.
- A private investment firm on the ECB/EBA 2014 stress test and the German BRRD implementation with regard to its very significant investment in additional tier 1 and subordinated tier 2 instruments in the event of a potential failure of a large German bank.
- A major US utilities company in litigation concerning fiduciary duties as a shareholder in a German joint venture company. This matter involved a series of cases before different German courts and ended in a favourable settlement.
- A group of shipping companies in the context of a regulatory banking investigation.
- A major commercial customer of a German natural gas provider in litigation about the correct pricing of gas supplies.
- Samsung and Google in high stakes litigation in Germany and before the EC, winning a full defence verdict for Samsung in the litigation against Apple
- Various plaintiffs in cartel damages litigation following from various European and German cartels.
- The University of Sydney Law School, Sydney, Australia
(LL.M., with Honours, 2003)
- State of Hesse, Frankfurt Court of Appeals, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
(2nd State Examination, with Honours, 2002)
- Philipps-Universität Marburg, Marburg, Germany
(Ph.D. in Law (Dr. iuris), summa cum laude, Dean’s list Honours, 2001)
(1st State Examination (JD equivalent), Dean’s list Honours, 2000)
- The German bar (Hanseatische Rechtsanwaltskammer Hamburg)
- Registered with the Brussels Bar (E-List)
- Solicitor, England & Wales
- Allen & Overy LLP:
- Partner, 2009-2012
- Senior Associate, Hamburg, 2008
- Associate, Frankfurt/London/Hamburg, 2003-2007
- Fenwick & West LLP:
- Visiting Foreign Attorney, San Francisco/Mountain View, CA, 2007-2008
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in Germany/Handelsblatt 2022 for Appellate Practice, Antitrust/Competition, and Litigation.
- Listed in Best Lawyers in Germany/Handelsblatt 2021 for Information Technology Law, Intellectual Property Law, Appellate Practice, Competition/Antitrust Law and Litigation
- Listed in Best Lawyers in Germany/Handelsblatt 2016 for Information Technology Law and Intellectual Property Law
- Listed in IAM 1000 2015 as a leading attorney
- Listed in Best Lawyers in Germany/Handelsblatt 2015 for Information Technology Law and Intellectual Property Law
- Listed in Managing IP 2015 as an IP star in Germany
- Listed in Managing IP 2014 as an IP star in Germany
- Recognized by Chambers Europe as an "Up & Coming" lawyer in the fields of TMT/IT Law (2013)
- Named a “Rising Star” in IP by Law 360 (2013)
- Listed as a leading attorney in Germany by IAM Patent 1000 – The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners (2013)
- Recognized by Chambers Europe as an "Up & Coming" lawyer in the fields of TMT/IT Law (2012)
- Recommended as one of the “Best Lawyers” in Germany for IP law by Handelsblatt/Legal Success (2011)
- Named as having one of the “25 leading careers” (Karriere des Jahres) in Germany by the Handelsblatt magazine (2010)
- Listed in IAM Licensing 250 – The World's Leading Patent & Technology Licensing Lawyers as a leading attorney in Germany with a particular focus on Life Sciences (2010)
- Chancellor’s award for “Best Thesis in 2000/2001 Academic Year”, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Marburg, Germany (2001)
- GCR Know How IP & Antitrust 2016: Germany, co-author with Henning Wienstroth, Global Competition Review (September 2016)
- EU: IP & Antitrust, The European, Middle Eastern and African Antitrust Review 2017, co-author with Henning Wienstroth, Global Competition Review (August 2016)
- GCR Know-how, IP & Antitrust: Germany, co-author with Catherine Manley and Henning Wienstroth, Global Competition Review (September 2015)
- The European Antitrust Review 2016, IP & Antitrust: Germany: SEPs & FRAND Licensing: Are the German courts revising their approach?, co-author with Catherine Manley, Global Competition Review (2015)
- GCR Know-how, IP & Antitrust: Germany, co-author with Catherine Manley, Global Competition Review (May 2014)
- The European Antitrust Review 2015, IP & Antitrust: Germany: Licence Agreements Under Scrutiny: A New Challenge for Non-Challenge Clauses, Global Competition Review (2014)
- Gruppenfreistellungsverordnung Technologietransfer, Kölner Kommentar zum Kartellrecht (to be published)
- UWG - Großkommentar zum Gesetz gegen den unlauteren Wettbewerb mit Nebengesetzen (§ 12 UWG) Ed. by Teplitzky, Otto / Peifer, Karl-Nikolaus / Leistner, Matthias 2nd edition, 2015.
- The European Antitrust Review 2014, IP & Antitrust: Germany: Pay-for-Delay Agreements: Bargaining in Probabilities, Global Competition Review (2014)
- IP Licences and Assignments under the New Rome I Regulation, www.executiveview.com , co-author with U. Stimmel (February 2010)
- Horn v Google Inc., e-commerce law reports, issue 04 (2008)
- Jedem sein Tempo, Markenartikel (September 2006)
- Virtual Pharma Enterprise – The New Trend, Screening, co-author with W. Witz (February 2004)
- Entstehung, Legitimation und Zukunft der konkreten Normenkontrolle im modernen Verfassungsstaat [Judicial review in a modern constitutional state], Ph.D. thesis, Philipps-Universität Marburg, Germany (2001)
- Member, GRUR
- Member, DGRI
- Member, Association of German Jurists (Deutscher Juristentag e.V.)
- Member, German Bar Association (Deutscher Anwaltsverein)
- Member, British-German Lawyers’ Association
- Member, French-German Lawyers’ Association
- Member, Studienvereinigung Kartellrecht