JP Kernisan practices in the areas of employment law, white collar defense and corporate investigations and commercial litigation. JP routinely represents companies and executives facing corporate crises involving difficult legal and regulatory challenges, with particular experience advising companies related to allegations of corruption, discrimination and harassment and/or executive misconduct.
Employment & Litigation
Mr. Kernisan has significant employment litigation and counseling experience representing domestic and international employers in various industries, including retail, sports, media, financial services and start-up companies. He has defended employers in state and federal courts at all stages of single plaintiff, multi-plaintiff and class and collective action litigation and arbitration against claims of wrongful discharge, discrimination, harassment, retaliation, wage and hour violations, and breach of contract.
Mr. Kernisan’s professional sports practice consists of providing crisis strategy, employment, and litigation advice and counsel to professional sports teams in the National Football League and National Basketball Association. He has years of experience professional sports teams, universities, and other sports business organizations in high-profile matters which have often been the subject of significant media coverage.
JP has also led several internal investigations related to executive misconduct in various organizations across several industries, including but not limited to sports, retail and financial services industries.
Mr. Kernisan’s arbitration experience includes representing employers in traditional labor law matters, including collective bargaining, grievance arbitrations and union elections.
Investigations, Government Enforcement & White Collar
Mr. Kernisan has conducted internal investigations for large multinational companies, financial institutions and universities. Additionally, he routinely represents organizations and executives facing government and/or regulatory investigations by U.S. authorities, including but not limited to the U.S. Department of Justice, the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, and the New York Department of Financial Services.
He has also worked with companies to review and assess, as well as develop and implement, organizational strategies related to diversity and inclusion and the compliance, risk management, and corporate strategies associated with these issues.
JP is also the 2-time Chair of the New York City Bar’s Associate Leadership Institute, a leadership initiative started in 2017 whose participants are minority senior associates in the City’s elite law firms. He is a 2009 graduate of New York University School of Law and a 2006 graduate of the University of Maryland – College Park.
- Represented NFL team during organizational crisis arising from allegations of sexual and racial harassment of former employees. Part of a team that developed and implemented a short-term crisis strategy that was later referred to in Sports Illustrated as “a brilliant stroke of crisis management.”
- Boeing 737 MAX — Represents several Boeing employees in connection with the investigations by U.S. authorities of the Lion Air Flight 610 and Ethiopian Airlines Flight 302.
- Represents one of Scandinavia’s largest financial institutions before various U.S. authorities related to ongoing regulatory and criminal investigations.
- Has led dozens of internal investigations for professional sports franchises and other large companies related to employee misconduct including but not limited to alleged sexual assault, sexual harassment, discrimination and retaliation.
- Represented a large university in an internal investigation of sexual misconduct spanning decades involving the university’s athletic department and implicating members of the athletic department and university administrators.
- Recommended and implemented long-term organizational changes focused on improving organizational culture and environment for employees of NFL team, including but not limited to employment audit, review of policies, procedures and practices with respect to diversity and inclusion and hiring, retention and promotion.
- Provides advice and counsel on broad range of litigation and business issues to various professional sports clubs, including but not limited to contract negotiations for team executives and providing advice and counsel on various litigation and employment law issues. JP was recently involved in negotiating one of the most lucrative coaching contracts in NFL history.
- Represented large national retailer against an investigation by state and federal authorities into employment, security and surveillance practices related to customers.
- Part of a trial team for large international fragrance company that successfully defended employer against claims of age discrimination.
- New York University School of Law
- University of Maryland
(B.S., Accounting, 2006)
- Dean’s List
- Law360 Top Attorney Under 40 – Sports & Betting (2020)
- New York Metro Area SuperLawyers "Rising Star" (2015-2019)
- Chair, New York City Bar Associate Leadership Institute (2017, 2018)
- Member, Sports Lawyers Association
- 2017 Council of Urban Professionals (CUP) Fellow
- New York City Bar – Enhance Diversity in the Profession Executive Committee (2017 – present)
- Diversity Pipeline Initiatives Committee (2015 – 2017)