Duane Lyons is a partner in the Los Angeles Office, and his practice includes a variety of litigation and counseling services in the areas of complex commercial litigation and white collar criminal defense. Mr. Lyons is an experienced trial attorney who has successfully tried over 25 jury trials during his career. Since joining the firm in 2001, Mr. Lyons has represented Twentieth Century Fox, The Home Depot, Shell Oil Products, Mattel, The Los Angeles Clippers, Hyundai Motor Company, Alibaba, Waymo, The Hub Group, IBM, DirecTV and a number of other major corporations in a variety of commercial litigation matters, including trade secret litigation, trademark infringement claims, contract disputes, business torts, and employment actions. Mr. Lyons has used his expertise in criminal law to successfully represent individuals and corporations in criminal investigations, asset forfeiture cases and administrative proceedings before a variety of state and federal investigative agencies.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Lyons served as an Assistant United States Attorney from 1991-2001. From 1999-2001, he also served as the Chief of the Criminal Complaints Section where he was responsible for making charging decisions for the majority of criminal cases filed in the Central District of California. During his tenure as an AUSA, Mr. Lyons received awards from numerous law enforcement organizations. He also received a personal commendation from the Attorney General of the United States for his work on the successful civil rights prosecution of the Los Angeles police officers involved in the Rodney King beating. In addition, Mr. Lyons received Special Achievement Awards from the Department of Justice in 1994, 1995, 1996 and 1997. In 2000, he received the Attorney General's John Marshall Award, the highest award given to attorneys within the Justice Department, for his role as lead prosecutor in Operation Casablanca, the largest money laundering case in U.S. history.
- Lead prosecutor in Operation Casablanca, the largest money laundering case in United States history. Successfully prosecuted two of the largest banks in Mexico, more than 30 bankers, stockbrokers and other individuals and recovered more than $30 million in criminal fines and forfeitures.
- Represented plaintiff real estate developer against a civil engineering company in a case involving fraud. After substituting into the case weeks before the trial, persuaded the jury to find the defendant liable for fraud. Shortly after the 3 week trial concluded, the case settled for the full amount, plus interest, and all of plaintiff's attorneys fees and costs.
- Represented affiliate of Twentieth Century Fox in a multi-plaintiff case alleging racial harassment. Obtained a complete defense verdict.
- Obtained summary judgment on multiple occasions for franchisor Shell Oil (Equilon Enterprises, LLC) in disputes under the Petroleum Marketing Practice Act.
- Represented Vice President of Foreign Country in connection with foreign corruption allegations by United States Department of Justice. Successfully resolved matter with no criminal charges being filed and favorable civil settlement.
- Negotiated favorable resolution for major health insurer in connection with civil law enforcement actions brought by the Los Angeles City Attorney alleging the unlawful discharge of patients.
- Negotiated favorable resolution for hospital chain in connection with civil and criminal investigations by federal and local law enforcement alleging violations of Anti-Kickback Statute and False Claims Act.
- Represented major retailer in various civil law enforcement actions filed by local prosecutors and regulators regarding alleged violations of environmental laws. Resolved cases on terms favorable to client.
- Represented logistics provider in connection with investigation by local prosecutors regarding alleged violation of environmental laws.
- Negotiated favorable resolution for pyrotechnic company in connection with criminal investigation alleging the unlawful transportation of hazardous materials.
- Represented health insurers in civil law enforcement action filed by Los Angeles City Attorney alleging unlawful marketing of health insurance policies.
- Negotiated favorable resolution for manufacturer of pesticides in connection with investigation regarding the sale of unregistered pesticides and criminal action regarding workplace fatality.
- Lender Liability & Other Banking Financial Institution Litigation
- Employment Litigation & Counseling
- Media & Entertainment Litigation
- Environmental Litigation
- Health Care Litigation
- Investigations, Government Enforcement & White Collar Criminal Defense Practice
- Sexual Harassment & Employment Discrimination
- Boalt Hall School of Law, University of California, Berkeley
- University of Pennsylvania
- The State Bar of California