Duane Lyons is a partner in the Los Angeles Office, and his practice includes a variety of litigation and counseling services in the areas of complex commercial litigation and white collar criminal defense. Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Lyons served as an Assistant United States Attorney from 1991-2001. During that time, he successfully prosecuted over 25 criminal trials and argued more than a dozen cases before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. From 1999-2001, he also served as the Chief of the Criminal Complaints Section where he was responsible for making charging decisions for the majority of criminal cases filed in the Central District of California.
Mr. Lyons has used his expertise in criminal law to successfully represent individuals and corporations in criminal investigations, asset forfeiture cases and administrative proceedings before a variety of state and federal investigative agencies. Mr. Lyons has also represented major corporations in civil law enforcement actions filed by local prosecutors under California's Unfair Competition and False Advertising Laws.
During his tenure as an AUSA, Mr. Lyons received awards from numerous law enforcement organizations. He also received a personal commendation from the Attorney General of the United States for his work on the successful civil rights prosecution of the Los Angeles police officers involved in the Rodney King beating. In addition, Mr. Lyons received Special Achievement Awards from the Department of Justice in 1994, 1995, 1996 and 1997. In 2000, he received the Attorney General's John Marshall Award, the highest award given to attorneys within the Justice Department, for his role as lead prosecutor in Operation Casablanca, the largest money laundering case in U.S. history.
- Mr. Lyons has represented Twentieth Century Fox, The Home Depot, Shell Oil Products, Mattel Incorporated, Hughes Electronics and The Hub Group in commercial contract disputes, business torts, trademark infringement claims and employment actions. He also has substantial expertise in franchise disputes under the Petroleum Marketing Practices Act. In addition to successfully defending clients at trial, Mr. Lyons has successfully represented clients before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals. Mr. Lyons has also represented health insurance companies and health care providers in criminal investigations, false claims actions, and civil law enforcement actions.
- Lead prosecutor in Operation Casablanca, the largest money laundering case in United States history. Successfully prosecuted two of the largest banks in Mexico, more than 30 bankers, stockbrokers and other individuals and recovered more than $30 million in criminal fines and forfeitures.
- Represented Fox Digital, an affiliate of Twentieth Century Fox in a three-week trial in a racial harassment case brought by three plaintiffs. Obtained a complete defense verdict.
- Represented plaintiff real estate developer against a civil engineering company in a case involving fraud in a real estate development dispute. After substituting into the case weeks before the trial, persuaded the jury to find the defendant liable for fraud. Shortly after the 3 week trial concluded, the case settled for the full amount, plus interest, and all of plaintiff's attorneys fees and costs.
- Obtained summary judgment on multiple occasions for franchisor Shell Oil (Equilon Enterprises, LLC) in disputes under the Petroleum Marketing Practice Act.
- Represented pyrotechnic company in connection with criminal investigation alleging the unlawful transportation of hazardous materials. Negotiated favorable resolution.
- Represented manufacturer of pesticides in connection with administrative actions filed by the Department of Pesticide Regulation regarding the sale of unregistered pesticides in California and criminal action filed by the San Bernardino County District Attorney’s Office regarding workplace fatality.
- Represented major health insurer in connection with civil law enforcement actions brought by the Los Angeles City Attorney alleging the unlawful discharge of patients. Negotiated favorable resolution.
- Represented hospital chain in connection with civil law enforcement action brought by the Los Angeles City Attorney alleging unlawful business practices. Resolved case on terms favorable to client.
- Represented health insurers in civil law enforcement action filed by Los Angeles City Attorney alleging unlawful marketing of health insurance policies.
- Represented major retailer in various civil law enforcement actions filed by local prosecutors and regulators regarding alleged violations of environmental laws. Resolved cases on terms favorable to client.
- Representing logistics provider in connection with investigation alleging that damaged or returned goods such as household cleaners, shampoo and many other products must be managed as hazardous waste.
- Represented Vice President of Foreign Country in connection with foreign corruption allegations by United States Department of Justice. Successfully resolved matter with no criminal charges being filed and favorable civil settlement.
- Lender Liability & Other Banking Financial Institution Litigation
- Employment Litigation & Counseling
- Media & Entertainment Litigation
- Environmental Litigation
- Health Care Litigation
- Investigations, Government Enforcement & White Collar Criminal Defense Practice
- Sexual Harassment & Employment Discrimination
- Boalt Hall School of Law, University of California, Berkeley
- University of Pennsylvania