Ravi Nayer’s practice focuses on high stakes commercial and group litigation, acting on behalf of the UK’s largest financial services institutions including asset managers, insurers and pension funds. His considerable experience includes creating joint defence and novel litigation cooperation agreements for peer institutions in some of the UK’s largest class actions, including the RBS Rights Issue litigation. As well as advising on the merits and conduct of securities class actions and regulatory enforcement actions, Ravi advises on governance policies and procedures relating to bondholder litigation and securities class actions and related fiduciary duties.
For two years, Ravi was seconded to one of the UK's largest FTSE 100 asset managers and insurers, as its global head of disputes, giving him insight into the challenges of bringing and defending proceedings as in-house counsel.
Ravi also advises clients on the design and implementation of private-sector compensation schemes (also called redress schemes), which he has led on in the UK in recent years, arising from alleged mass torts. Most recently he acted for Manchester City Football Club and the UK construction industry relating to the alleged blacklisting of workers, as well as the first ICO-approved data compensation scheme. He has also advised various UK government enquiries on these issues in recent years.
He has experience across a wide range of jurisdictions, including the Caribbean, the United States, India, and North Africa.
Ravi continues to champion diversity in the workplace and is regularly invited to speak at industry events. Ravi was the Chair of the Board of London’s largest mental health charity. He also interned at the Runnymede Trust, the UK’s leading race equality think tank. He is presently, Chair of the children’s charity, Barnardo’s, inaugural BAME engagement committee.
Ravi has been awarded numerous scholarships by The Honourable Society of Lincoln's Inn and has taught on the BCL/MJur at the University of Oxford, where he also convened the Law Faculty’s Procedural Justice and Evidence Discussion Group, including undertaking in-depth research of comparative class action methodologies and reform. Ravi studied History at the University of Bristol and has a Masters in Law from University College London.
- Representing one of the UK’s largest private pension funds in commercial litigation relating to a counterparty dispute over the cost of cladding
- Representing trade bodies relating to Covid Insurance issues, including the Supreme Court Test Case
- Advice to leading asset managers relating to Bondholder and Securities Class Action internal policies and fiduciary duties
- Advice and representation relating to the institution of several redress schemes including consumer remediation in FCA proceedings
- Advising and representing a leading structured products provider and directors in FCA Enforcement proceedings relating to fair value and target market over the course of two years
- Advising a group of the UK’s largest asset managers on the merits and quantum of securities class actions
- Representing and advising FTSE 20 financial institution on contractual remedies relating to redress scheme by a counterparty
- Advising a leading Japanese bank and investment manager in relation to contentious employment issues at board level as well as the regulatory elements
- Frequent advice to leading Litigation Funders on due diligence
- Representing and advice to FTSE 100 company relating ICO enforcement and commercial litigation relating to data and misuse of confidential information
- From concept to book build, advising litigation funders on data class actions
- Appellate Practice
- Class Action Litigation
- Environmental Litigation
- Government & Regulatory Litigation
- Insurance & Reinsurance Litigation
- Investigations, Government Enforcement & White Collar Criminal Defense Practice
- Investment Fund Litigation
- Product Liability & Mass Torts Litigation
- Securities Litigation
- Sports Litigation
- Digital Asset Litigation
- University College London
- University of Bristol
(B.A., History, Honors, 2004)
- Law Society of England and Wales (Bar Standards Board)
- Brown Rudnick:
- Partner, 2020-2021
- Pinsent Masons:
- Partner, 2018-2020
- Recognized by The Legal 500 UK as a Recommended Lawyer for Fraud: Civil (2021)
- Awarded Lord Denning, Lord Brougham, Hubert Greenland and Hardwicke scholarships by the Honourable Society of Lincoln's Inn
- “ESG and Litigation: The Outlook for Shareholders and Listed Companies’, Environmental, Social & Governance Law 2021: A practical cross-border insight into ESG law.
- “The “New Normal”: Instituting Redress Schemes to Resolve Mass-torts”, JPIL.
- “The Windrush Compensation Scheme”, evidence to Home Affairs Select Committee
- “Other methods of financing litigation”, The Law and Business of Litigation Finance (Friel ed)
- “We need an innovative redress scheme for survivors of child sexual abuse”, The Times
- Chair, Barnardo’s BAME engagement committee
- Former Chair of the Board of Directors, Mind (City & Hackney)