Aidan is experienced in conducting commercial litigation and arbitration in the areas of pensions, banking, financial services and intellectual property. Aidan joined the London office of Quinn Emanuel in 2012. In 2019, he was named by Legal 500 as one of 23 “Next Generation” commercial litigators in London.
Before joining Quinn Emanuel, Aidan worked at one of New Zealand’s premier commercial law firms. While there, Aidan’s cases were predominantly in the areas of financial services, insurance and oil and gas joint ventures. He also worked extensively on public law advocacy matters, particularly concerning financial regulation.
Aidan has appeared as junior counsel in commercial cases in the New Zealand Supreme Court, Court of Appeal and High Court, and as sole counsel in the New Zealand High Court and District Courts and on procedural matters in the English Courts.
Aidan qualified from Victoria University of Wellington in 2007 with a Bachelor of Laws and a Bachelor of Arts with Honours (First Class).
- Acted for an investor in its claim for and recovery of more than EUR 70m in connection with a failed bond investment.
- Acted for a high net worth individual against the institutional clients group of a global bank in a claim for damages of more than $180m.
- Defending an inkjet printing technology company in a patent infringement claim.
- Acted for a pension scheme investment consultant in its defence of a claim against it for damages of more than £300m.
- Acted for the principal investor in a series of West End musical productions in a claim concerning the repayment of shareholder loans and the operation of a shareholder agreement.
- Acted for a national television company in its defence of a claim brought by the production company of a popular and long running television show.
- Acted for a telecoms infrastructure company in connection with an inter-shareholder dispute.
- Acted for a national bank against another national bank in connection with a dispute regarding a joint venture for the sale of insurance products.
- Acted for a property investor in a dispute with a national bank regarding the sale of interest rate swaps and the provision of debt financing against a £1.5 billion portfolio of London property.
- International Arbitration
- Copyright Litigation
- Hedge Fund Litigation
- Investment Advisor & Asset Manager Litigation
- Private Equity Fund Litigation
- Representing Pension Funds, Other Managed Funds, and Government Agencies as Plaintiffs
- Media & Entertainment Litigation
- Transnational Litigation
- Sovereign Litigation, Arbitration and Workouts
- Victoria University of Wellington
- (Bachelor of Laws, 2007)
- (Bachelor of Arts with Honours (First Class), History, 2007)
- (Bachelor of Arts, History and Political Science, 2006)
- A Solicitor of the Senior Courts of England and Wales
- Admitted as a Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand
- Russell McVeagh:
- Legal 500, “Next Generation” commercial litigator 2019
- Victoria University of Wellington, Post Graduate Scholarship Award 2006
- “Every vote counts (or not)”, New Zealand Law Journal  29
- “Legislating in the dark”, New Zealand Law Journal  324
- “Lessons from the law reform process”, New Zealand Law Journal  360