Manisha M. Sheth is Co-chair of the firm’s Government and Regulatory Litigation Practice and its Sexual Harassment and Employment Discrimination practice. Ms. Sheth is a seasoned trial lawyer with twenty years of experience in both private practice and government prosecutions. Her practice focuses on complex civil litigation, white collar criminal defense, and internal investigations. Ms. Sheth recently served as the Executive Deputy Attorney General for the Division of Economic Justice at the Office of the New York Attorney General, where she supervised all of the Office’s complex commercial investigations and enforcement actions in the areas of antitrust, securities fraud, cybersecurity and data privacy, consumer frauds, and government contracts fraud. Ms. Sheth was also a federal criminal prosecutor in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
Ms. Sheth has extensive experience representing both plaintiffs and defendants in a wide range of complex commercial disputes, involving issues such as breach of contract, securities fraud, antitrust, government contract fraud, privacy and data security, and other business frauds and torts. She also has served as lead trial counsel on over a dozen civil and criminal trials in federal and state court, including jury and bench trials.
As the Executive Deputy Attorney General, Ms. Sheth led the Division of Economic Justice which consists of 250 attorneys and staff in six affirmative litigation bureaus: Antitrust, Investor Protection (Securities), Internet & Technology, Taxpayer Protection, Consumer Frauds & Protection, and Real Estate Finance. She developed enforcement priorities for individual bureaus and the Division as a whole. Ms. Sheth was the lead attorney on several high-profile investigations and litigations, including a trial against former AIG CEO Hank Greenberg, a trial against FedEx Ground, and settlements of RMBS and LIBOR investigations. Under her leadership, the Division obtained the following victories, among others:
- a $65 million settlement against Wells Fargo in connection with its cross-selling practices;
- a record-breaking $42 million settlement against Bank of America/Merrill for fraudulent electronic trading practices;
- a $10 million settlement against Credit Suisse for fraudulent electronic trading practices;
- a $500 million and a $230 million settlement against RBS and UBS in connection with its sale of RMBS;
- settlements against Deutsche Bank for $220 million, Barclays for $100 million, Citi for $100 million, and UBS for $68 million in connection with their LIBOR practices;
- a record $330 million settlement with Sprint in ground breaking False Claims Act litigation involving unpaid sales tax;
- a $30 million settlement against New York based investment manager for evading New York State and City taxes; and
- a record-breaking $174.2 million settlement against Charter Communications f/k/a Time Warner after commencing an enforcement action against it for misrepresenting internet speeds and access to content.
As a federal prosecutor in Philadelphia, Ms. Sheth indicted over thirty-five cases, conducted numerous trials, and argued several appeals before the Third Circuit. During her tenure at the United States Attorney’s Office, Ms. Sheth conducted numerous long-term grand jury investigations and prosecutions for a wide variety of federal crimes, including health care fraud, financial institution fraud, money laundering, tax fraud, and regulatory crimes. Ms. Sheth was nominated for the Attorney General’s Award for Outstanding Service by a New Employee in 2005, the Executive Office of the U.S. Attorneys Director’s Award for Superior Performance as an AUSA in 2006, and the Federal Bar Association’s Younger Federal Lawyer Award in 2008. She has also been a speaker at numerous seminars and conferences regarding health care fraud prosecutions.