Marixenia Davilla is counsel in Quinn Emanuel’s Brussels office. She joined the firm in 2017. Marixenia provides legal analysis and advice on complex competition law issues. Her practice focuses on all aspects of European and Greek competition law, advising on antitrust, merger control and State aid law issues. Her experience includes work for European, U.S. and Asian clients and covers sectors as diverse as hi-tech, energy, pharmaceuticals, electronic communications, financial services, and aviation. Marixenia has been named a future leader in Competition by Who’s Who Legal in 2017, 2018, and 2019. Prior to joining the firm, Marixenia worked as an antitrust associate in two international law firms in Brussels, and as a trainee at the European Commission, Directorate-General for Competition, where she focused on antitrust investigations in the electronic communications sector.
- Qualcomm Incorporated
- Lonza Group
- Societé Generale
- Piraeus Bank
- Federation of European Publishers
- Nasdaq OMX
- Public Power Corporation
- Olympic Airlines and Olympic Airways
- Slovak Telekom
- Qualcomm. Represents Qualcomm Incorporated and Qualcomm Europe in Case T-371/17 Qualcomm v Commission and in Case T-235/18 Qualcomm v Commission (ongoing); provides EU antitrust law advice to Qualcomm in the framework of various antitrust investigations (2011-to date); provided EU merger control advice in relation to the proposed acquisition by Qualcomm of NXP (2016-2017).
- Lonza Group. Advises Lonza on various EU competition law matters (2018-to date).
- Provided competition law advice in relation to the resolution of non-performing loans by Greek financial institutions (2016).
- Provided regulatory and State aid law advice in relation to the recapitalisation of a major Greek financial institution (2015).
- Antitrust advice against Google. Advised three major corporations in relation to complaints against Google under Article 102 TFEU (2012 to 2014).
- Nokia. Advised Nokia in relation to an investigation of a complaint regarding an alleged infringement under Article 102 TFEU (2013 to 2015).
- Samsung. Advised Samsung in the Commission investigation regarding the enforcement of Samsung’s UMTS standard essential patents (2012 to 2013).
- Privatisation of the Public Power Corporation (“PPC”). Provided legal advice to the Hellenic Republic Asset Development Fund in the framework of PPC’s privatisation (2012).
- Societé Generale. Provided legal advice to Societé Generale concerning the sale of its subsidiary Geniki to Piraeus Bank (2012).
- Spira v. European Commission and BVGD v. European Commission. Involved in the preparation of the written pleadings on behalf of the European Commission in two cases before the General Court of the EU concerning the annulment of two Commission decisions rejecting complaints against De Beers for alleged infringement of Articles 101 and 102 TFEU (2007 to 2012).
- Textron. Provided EU and worldwide merger control advice to Textron in relation to a possible acquisition (2012).
- Google/Motorola Mobility (“MMI”). Represented two interested third parties in the preparation of their responses to the European Commission’s market test for the assessment of MMI’s acquisition by Google (2011).
- Nasdaq OMX (“Nasdaq”). Involved in Nasdaq’s attempted acquisition of NYSE Euronext (“NYSE”), and in the preparation of Nasdaq’s submissions in response to the European Commission’s market test for the assessment of the proposed acquisition of NYSE by Deutsche Börse (2011).
- Federation of European Publishers (“FEP”). Represented the FEP in the context of the European Commission’s investigation into the e-books sector (2011).
- Public Power Corporation (“PPC”). Advised PPC in proceedings before the European Commission and the General Court of the EU in a case relating to an alleged infringement by the Greek State of Articles 106(2)/102 TFEU, and 106(3) TFEU (2008 - 2011).
- Medco/Celesio, German notification. Assisted in the preparation of the notification before the Bundeskartellamt of the creation of a joint venture on health related services between Medco Health Solutions and Celesio (2010).
- Slovak Telekom v. European Commission. Involved in proceedings before the General Court of the EU concerning Slovak Telekom’s applications for annulment of two Commission decisions requesting information in the framework of an investigation under Article 102 TFEU (2009 - 2010).
- Merck/Schering-Plough, EU notification. Assisted in the preparation of the EU notification of the merger between the pharmaceutical companies Merck & Co and the Schering-Plough Corporation (2009).
- Deutsche Telekom/Hellenic Telecommunications Operator (“OTE”), EU and worldwide notification. Prepared the EU and worldwide merger control and regulatory notifications concerning the acquisition by Deutsche Telekom of OTE (2008).
- Olympic Airways Services and Olympic Airlines. Provided State aid law advice in relation to the privatisation by the Hellenic Republic of Olympic Airways Services’ and Olympic Airlines’ assets (2008 - 2009).
- Aker Warnow Werft GmbH & Kvaerner ASA v. European Commission. Involved in proceedings before the General Court of the EU relating to an application by AWW & Kvaerner for annulment of a European Commission decision adopted under the EU State aid rules. AWW & Kvaerner’s application for annulment was upheld on 10 March 2009.
- University of London, King’s College London
(LL.M., Commercial and Corporate Law, 2005)
- National and Kapodistrian University of Athens
(LL. B., Law, 2004)
- University of Vienna
(LL. B., Law, 2003)
- Athens, Greece
- Brussels, Belgium
- Athens Court of First Instance
- Athens Court of Appeal
- Shearman & Sterling:
- Associate, 2011-2017
- Howrey LLP:
- Associate, 2007-2011
- Named a future leader in Competition by Who’s Who Legal, 2017, 2018, and 2019.
- Named amongst the 30 in their 30s notable women competition professionals in private practices by Women@competition and PARR.
Author, “Blockchain and Competition Law,” Journal of European Competition Law & Practice, upcoming.
Author, chapter on technology transfer agreements in the Research Handbook European Patent Law, upcoming.
Co-author, “The court’s ruling in Intel: Towards a modern application of Article 102 TFEU based on sound economic principles,” Concurrences No 1-2018 – On Topic – Intel.
Author, “Is Big Data a Different Kind of Animal? The Treatment of Big Data Under the EU Competition Rules,” Journal of European Competition Law & Practice (2017) 8 (6): 370-381.
Author, “Commission v DEI: the law on public companies or companies with special or exclusive rights that are led to abuse their dominant position,” Journal of European Competition Law & Practice (2015) 6 (1): 30-32. doi: 10.1093/jeclap/lpu102; first published online: November 24, 2014.
Author, “The General Court’s judgment in Case T-169/08 PPC v. Commission,” Chilling Competition, 20 November 2012.
Co-author, “Article 82 EC Remedies: Can the European Commission Break Up Utilities?” Utilities Law Review 16.