Remo Decurtins is an associate in Quinn Emanuel’s Zurich office. His practice focuses on complex, high-stakes litigations, arbitrations and criminal and regulatory investigations, on behalf of companies and individuals, frequently involving multiple jurisdictions.
Remo has a particular interest and expertise in national and international sports law and has represented several high-profile clients in football, basketball, boxing, car racing, equestrian sports, field hockey and other sports, in complex business disputes. Remo also provides support to sports associations, clubs and league organizers with respect to corporate governance and compliance, contracting and crisis management, and advises on all aspects of transfers of athletes and of athletes’ management arrangements. Recently, he has been assisting Hong Kong based Asia League Ltd. in a number of disputes and negotiations with regard to “East Asia Super League”, the first integrated international basketball “Champions League” across Asia, including with FIBA, the International Basketball Federation. A list of notable representations can be found in the description of the “Sports Litigation” practice of QE’s Zurich office.
Remo has been recognized as a “Rising Star” in Litigation by Euromoney and a “Rising Star” in Sports Law by The Legal 500 in 2022 and again in 2023. He has also recently spoken at the International Conference of ELSA Zurich on Sports Law on the topic of rights and protection of athletes.
Prior to joining Quinn Emanuel, Remo worked as an associate at leading business law firms in Geneva, Zurich and New York.
Remo obtained his law degree from University of Lucerne (Master of Law, 2010) and his LL.M. from New York University (NYU) School of Law (2016). He is admitted to the Zurich Bar and the State Bar of New York.
- New York University School of Law
- (LL.M., 2016)
- University of Lucerne
- (Master of Law, summa cum laude, 2010)
- University of Lucerne
- (Bachelor of Law, 2008)
- The Zurich Bar
- The State Bar of New York
- Recognized by The Legal 500 as a “Rising Star” in Sports Law, 2022-2023
- Recognized by Euromoney’s Rising Stars for Litigation, 2022
- Die Harmonika als Schnittmenge der Verfahren zu Kapitalherabsetzung, -erhöhung und Sanierung – Probleme in der Praxis und Blick auf die Aktienrechtsreform (with Th. Werlen), in: Müller/Forrer/Zuur (eds.), Festschrift für Hans-Ueli Vogt zum 50. Geburtstag (Das Aktienrecht im Wandel), Zürich/St.Gallen 2020, 235 et seqq.
- The Proposed Strengthening of Group Action in Swiss Civil Procedure (with Th. Werlen), CapLaw 24 October 2018
- Major League Soccer’s Exceptionalism in FIFA’s Transfer System: For How Much Longer?, in: Marquette Sports Law Review 2/2017, 331-355
- Working Time and Overtime Compliance: Recent Developments Around the World, in: Practising Law Institute (PLI), International Employment Law 2017, Course Handbook, 239-252 (co-authorship with M.L. Schmelkin, Partner Jones Day)
- Kommentierung von Art. 356-362 OR (Gesamtarbeitsvertrag und Normalarbeitsvertrag), in: Kostkiewicsz/Wolf/ Amstutz/Fankhauser (eds.), Kommentar zum Schweizerischen Obligationenrecht, 3rd edition, Zurich 2016
- Brief aus New York, Erfahrungsbericht aus dem LL.M., in: Plädoyer 5/2016, 27
- Sonderfall Major League Soccer im FIFA-Transferwesen: Wie lange noch?, in: Causa Sport 3/2016, 240-251
- The Nightmare and the Noble Dream, Wirtschaftliche Freiheiten in der Verfassung – ein Rechtsvergleich zwischen den Vereinigten Staaten von Amerika und der Schweiz, in: Mathis/Caroni/Heselhaus/Norer (eds.), Festschrift für Paul Richli zum 65. Geburtstag, Zurich/St.Gallen 2011, 369 et seqq. (co-authorship with Prof. Dr. Mathis)