Richard Doss practices intellectual property litigation specializing in patent litigation at the trial and appellate levels for both plaintiffs and defendants. He has tried cases, litigated and advised clients in such technologies as computer hardware, software, microprocessors, field effect transistors, semiconductors, memory devices, Internet communications, telecommunications, trusted computing and digital rights management, inkjet cartridges, ink jet printers, piezo-electric printer heads, printer interfaces, manufacturing systems and methods, construction devices, therapeutic bath and spa technology, sports and athletic equipment. Richard has also litigated cases involving trade secret, trademark and trade dress.
Richard is admitted to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office, which allows him to counsel clients in developing their overall patent portfolio and enforcement strategies. He holds a Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering from the California Polytechnic University and a Juris Doctorate degree from Loyola Law School in Los Angeles.
- Seiko Epson Corporation
- Epson America, Inc.
- Epson Portland Inc.
- Avery Dennison
- Peel Technologies
- IQAir North America
- K&N Engineering
- Balboa Instruments
- Representing Seiko Epson Corporation, Epson America, Inc. and Epson Portland Inc. ("Epson") as complainants in a second action in the International Trade Commission (“ITC") asserting five patents covering ink jet cartridge technology against nineteen respondents and seeking the issuance of a General Exclusion Order ("GEO") and Cease-And-Desist Orders.
Representing Epson as plaintiff in 8 separate cases in the District Courts of Oregon and California for patent infringement covering ink jet cartridge technology.
- Obtained a defense jury verdict of patent invalidity and non-infringement for a major Internet digital media and technology company in a five-week jury trial where plaintiff sought in excess of $200 million in damages. The verdict was upheld by the Federal Circuit.
- Successfully mediated a patent infringement case involving fluid pumping technologies, obtaining a favorable settlement for defendants.
- Filed for reexamination of three patents directed to on-line downloading of music and video asserted against our client, for which reexamination was granted and the U.S. Patent office found every claim invalid. Obtained a stay of the district court case and denial of a preliminary injunction while the patents were in reexamination.
- Won summary judgment of patent infringement and validity involving construction device patents, which resulted in a favorable settlement for plaintiff.
- Obtained numerous grants of summary judgment for a plaintiff in a patent infringement action involving therapeutic baths and spa technologies, which allowed for a favorable settlement just weeks before trial.
- Successfully got accused copyright infringers to remove infringing material and all links to their websites without having to file suit.
- Successfully mediated a case for a "deep pocket" defendant resulting in less than nuisance value settlement involving the sale of property.
- Obtained early dismissal of claims against land developer after filing demurrer and summary judgment motion on claims of non-disclosure and breach of warranty.
- Obtained favorable ruling on a demurrer for client within one month of being sued, resulting in the plaintiff dropping all claims against our client.
- Defended a class action lawsuit involving claims of usurious interest rate practices, which resulted in the case being administratively closed and ultimately settled.
- Loyola Law School
- Loyola of Los Angeles Law Review:
- Editor, 1998-1999
- Member, 1997-1998
- Loyola of Los Angeles Law Review:
- Cal Poly Pomona
(B.S., Civil Engineering, 1994)
- The State Bar of California
- Court of Appeals:
- Federal Circuit
- United States District Courts:
- Central District of California
- Northern District of California
- Eastern District of California
- Registered to Practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Extern to the Hon. J. John Ryan, United States Bankruptcy Court, Central District of California and 9th Circuit Bankruptcy Appellate Panel, 1998