Scott Florance specializes in complex business litigation, focusing on intellectual property, antitrust, unfair competition, environmental/safety compliance, product liability and toxic tort matters. Prior to entering the law, Scott worked six years for Merck & Co., Inc. with responsibility for operations and environmental compliance at a chemical manufacturing facility in Rahway, NJ. Scott's technical background allows him to relate complex technologies to lay judges and juries in a wide variety of cases and maximize the value of retained experts and technical witnesses. Scott is admitted to practice before the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office.
- Avery Dennison Corporation
- Colgate-Palmolive Company
- General Motors Corporation
- The Home Depot
- Micron Technology, Inc.
- Occidental Chemical Corporation
- Playa Vista
- Samsung Electronics Corporation
- Seiko Epson Corporation
- Transweb, LLC
- Represented clients in patent infringement actions across a wide array of technologies including digital music, digital rights management, portable electronic devices, printers, electric razors, pre-paid telecommunication service systems, social networking, dental products, breathing filters, and pharmaceuticals.
- Represented Micron Technology, Inc. in a price fixing and boycott case alleging billions of dollars of damages in the DRAM technology market. Obtained a complete defense verdict after a three-month jury trial in San Francisco Superior Court.
- Secured a favorable settlement for Occidental Chemical Corporation in a mass tort case related to the derailment of freight train.
- Represented TransWeb in the District of New Jersey in which a unanimous jury returned verdicts in favor of TransWeb for invalidity and non-infringement among other grounds.
- Represented Seiko Epson Corporation in a patent infringement investigation before the International Trade Commission and the District of Oregon. Obtained a General Exclusion Order that halted the widespread importation of infringing products.
- Secured a no cost settlement on behalf of an internet music website in a patent infringement suit brought by a non-practicing entity after favorable discovery rulings.
- Obtained a litigation cost settlement on behalf of a master land developer in a dispute with a well-known real estate developer who sought almost $700 million in damages for breach of a series of environmental-related land purchase agreements.
- Representing major retailer in investigation by local prosecutors and regulators regarding alleged violations of environmental laws.
- Seconded at a major automobile manufacturer to provide legal assistance with product development and safety regulatory compliance.
- Represented consumer product manufacturers in asbestos-related product liability actions in venues across the country.
- University of Chicago
- Stevens Institute of Technology
- Northwestern University
- The State Bar of California
- Registered to Practice Before the United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Merck & Co. Inc.:
- Chemical/Environmental Engineer, 1995-2000