Justin C. Griffin handles a broad range of complex commercial litigation in federal and state courts, and arbitration. He has litigated cases in nearly every major practice area of the firm, including antitrust, trade secrets, patents, fraud and breach of contract, class actions, and product liability. Mr. Griffin has tried cases in state and federal courts throughout the country before both judges and juries and, whether representing a Fortune 500 company, an investment fund, or an individual, his practice focuses on solving his client’s most difficult legal challenges. He was named a Southern California “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers Magazine from 2014 – 2016. Before law school, Justin played professional baseball in the Cleveland Indians’ organization.
- eBay Inc.
- DIRECTV, LLC
- Epson America, Inc.
- Penn National Gaming, Inc.
- Pfizer, Inc.
- Qualcomm Incorporated
- Nestle USA, Inc.
- Retained by eBay in a long-running dispute with craigslist, arising out of eBay's 2004 acquisition of a 28.4% equity interest in craigslist. Months after we appeared in the case, the parties reached a confidential settlement, under which craigslist repurchased all of eBay’s equity and all litigation between the parties was dismissed.
- Represented Qualcomm in the Central District of California in a patent infringement dispute involving semiconductor memory devices, specifically sense amplifiers. Obtained a dismissal with prejudice after claim construction.
- Represented Nestlé USA, Inc. and Nestlé Dreyer’s Ice Cream Company in an antitrust action involving an alleged conspiracy to exclude competition in a claimed market for “better for you” ice cream. Obtained summary judgment.
- Represented Pfizer in litigations involving several of its prescription medications.
- Represented DIRECTV in an antitrust action brought by a former retailer under the Cartwright Act. Obtained summary judgment.
- Represented Qualcomm in a patent infringement action involving RF signal processing technology. Obtained a stipulated judgment of noninfringement after claim construction.
- Represented DIRECTV as the claimant in multiple arbitrations against former retailers involving fraud and breach of contract claims. Each arbitration resulted in a multi-million dollar verdict in DIRECTV’s favor.
- Represented Penn National Gaming in a section 1983 civil rights lawsuit against a municipality in Ohio. Obtained very favorable 8 figure settlement for Penn National Gaming on eve of preliminary injunction hearing.
- Represented a global telecommunications company in a multi-billion dollar worldwide patent and contract dispute concerning intellectual property in mobile telephones. The related matters included actions in Delaware, Wisconsin, Texas, and the International Trade Commission. The ITC action resulted in a final determination of no section 337 violation in favor of our client. The remaining matters were settled globally.
- Represented Epson in a case alleging patent infringement by Epson printers. The case, which was venued in the Eastern District of Texas, settled shortly after we filed our claim construction brief.
- Stanford Law School
- Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School
- The State Bar of California
- United States Court of Appeals:
- Federal Circuit
- United States District Courts:
- Central District of California
- Northern District of California
- Southern District of California
Selected to the Lawdragon 500 Leading Plaintiff Lawyers guide (2020, 2021, and 2022)
- Selected as a "Southern California Rising Star" by Super Lawyers Magazine (2014-2016)