Dr. Eirini E. Kikarea is an Associate in Quinn Emanuel’s London office. Her practice focuses on international disputes, particularly on international commercial arbitration and investor-state disputes.
Eirini has experience advising sovereign states, state-owned entities, and private parties before international arbitral tribunals and other international fora, as well as in advisory matters in international law. Her experience covers disputes spanning a broad range of business sectors, including financial institutions, media and telecommunications, commodities trading, mining and hospitality, in various jurisdictions, under various procedural rules and applicable laws.
Eirini received her Master of Laws Degree with Distinction and a Ph.D. in international law from the University of Cambridge. She has received several prizes and awards for academic excellence, including the Magdalene College Cambridge University Scholarship, Onassis Foundation Scholarship, A.G. Leventis Foundation Scholarship, and several law prizes. Eirini was also a Visiting Research Fellow at Harvard Law School and the Harvard Institute for Global Law and Policy for a year.
Eirini was an Editor-in-Chief of the Cambridge International Law Journal and a Vice Editor-in-Chief of the Cambridge Law Review. She was also the Founder and President of the Cambridge Arbitration Society.
Prior to joining the firm, Eirini taught international investment law and WTO law at the LLM Program of the University of Cambridge, conducted research in international law at Cambridge University and Harvard Law School, and gained experience in international arbitration and public international law at other top-tier law firms in London and Athens.
Eirini regularly publishes articles and edits books in the areas of international economic law, global governance, and international relations.
- University of Cambridge, Faculty of Law
(PhD, International Economic Law, 2021)
(LLM, International Law, first class honours, 2017)
- Cambridge International Law Journal:
- Editor-in-Chief, 2018-2019
- General Editor, 2017-2018
- Cambridge Law Review:
- Editor-in-Chief, 2017-2018
- General Editor, 2016-2017
- Cambridge International Law Journal:
- Harvard Law School
(Visiting Research Fellow, 2020)
- National & Kapodistrian University of Athens, School of Law
(LL.B., first class honours, 2015)
- Athens Bar Association
- Admitted in Greece only (Practicing under the direct supervision of a member of The Bar of England and Wales)
- “My Own Words by Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg” (editor of the Greek translation) (ΑΘΕΝS Bookstore, 2021)
- “Cambridge International Law Journal Volume 8(2)” (co-editor) (Edward Elgar, 2019)
- “Cambridge International Law Journal Volume 8(1)” (co-editor) (Edward Elgar, 2019)
- “Coding States-Shareholders” (2021) 32(1) Juridikum
- “The Global Governance of Cyberspace: Reimagining Private Actors Accountability: Introduction”
- (2019) 8(2) Cambridge International Law Journal 153 (with M.Menashe)
- “Brexit and Preferential Trade Agreements: Issues of Termination and Survival Clauses” (2019) 46(1) Legal Issues of Economic Integration 53
- “‘The Intricacies of FYROM’s Invitation to Join NATO in the Light of International and Constitutional Reality” (2018) 45(2) To Syntagma 567 (in Greek) (with P.Doudounis)
- “ADR in Greece and the Settlement of Sports Disputes” (2013) 4(2) GSLTR 41 (with M.Cremer)
- “Book Review: Fabio Morosini and Michelle Ratton Sanchez Badin, Reconceptualizing International Investment Law from the Global South” 7(2) Cambridge International Law Journal 354
Blog Posts and Newspaper Articles
- “The Invisible War and the ‘Order of Lawyers’” May 2022, Action 24 Press
- “Has the Pandemic Permanently Changed University Teaching?” Mar 2021, iefimerida
- “It is Time for the US to Listen to ‘Choked Up’ Voices” Jul 2020, To Vima
- “The Economic Geography of a Post Pandemic World” May 2020, To Vima
- “COVID-19 and Sino-American Conflicts for Global Hegemony” Apr 2020, To Vima
- “Accession of FYROM to NATO: A Sui Generis Process of an Uncertain Outcome” Dec 2019, Cambridge International Law Journal Blog
- “International Law and New Technologies: Taming ‘The Modern Prometheus” Dec 2019, Cambridge International Law Journal Blog
- “Arbitration as a Market” Mar 2018,
- “EU - Singapore Free Trade Agreement: ‘Mixed’ Feelings” Feb 2017, Cambridge International Law Journal Blog
- “On Mediation” Jan 2013 (with M.Cremer)
- “Regulating State Enterprises in International Law” (Lauterpacht Centre for International Law Workshop)
- “State Capitalism and International Economic Law’” (International Law Association (ILA)-American Society of International Law (ASIL) Asia-Pacific Research Forum)
- “State Intervention in Market Economy through Public/Private Entities” (Early Career Scholars Conference on ‘Public and Private Responsibilities’)
- “State-Owned Enterprises and Attribution in International Economic Law” (Annual Cambridge International Law Conference)
- “The Implications of Brexit for Free Trade Agreements” (Trinity College Dublin)