Robert Loigman’s practice focuses on complex civil litigation, including matters involving hedge funds, securities, and bankruptcy-related issues. He has extensive experience in hedge fund-related litigation, including representation of the Joint Liquidators of BVI-based Kingate Global Fund and Kingate Euro Fund, the Joint Official Liquidators of Cayman-based Beacon Hill Master Fund, investors in the Beacon Hill feeder funds, and the Litigation Advisory Board of the Granite funds. Mr. Loigman has pursued claims against major financial institutions (such as banks and broker-dealers), accounting firms, investment managers, administrators, and others on behalf of corporations, hedge funds, investor groups, and trustees and liquidators.
Mr. Loigman has represented plaintiffs and defendants in securities cases and myriad other commercial disputes. In addition to Rule 10b-5 and 20(a) actions—including defense of companies and directors in shareholder class actions—he has represented clients in a wide array of complex commercial cases in courts throughout the country, including substantial litigation in bankruptcy court and bankruptcy-related proceedings.
- Represented the PCI Liquidation Trust, the Chapter 7 Trustee of Polaroid Corp., and the Chapter 7 Trustee of Petters Capital in a fraudulent transfer action against a major bank and private equity firm stemming from their sale of Polaroid to Thomas Petters, who orchestrated one of the largest Ponzi schemes in history.
- Represented two of the largest Madoff “feeder funds” in litigation against the trustee of the Madoff estate and related proceedings in bankruptcy court and federal district court.
- Represented holders of hundreds of millions of dollars of bank debt and bonds in the defunct Le Nature’s Inc., asserting claims against a major bank, accounting firms, and an equipment manufacturing company.
- Represented the trustee of a litigation trust in a complex dispute with a major bank concerning operation of the chapter 11 plan.
- Represented the RSH Liquidating Trust in an action against the former directors and CEO of RadioShack, asserting claims for breach of fiduciary duty.
- Represented a monoline insurer in connection with the bankruptcy of Jefferson County, Alabama, one of the largest municipal bankruptcies in U.S. history.
- Represented the court-appointed examiner of Dynegy Inc. in bankruptcy court proceedings.
- Represented Solutia Inc. in bankruptcy litigation to enforce a $2 billion exit financing package.
- Represented the trustees of a Jersey Island-based trust in an arbitration against a major broker dealer stemming from unauthorized sales of auction rate securities.
- Represented a major defense contractor at trial in Delaware Chancery Court in which the client was awarded declaratory judgment protecting more than $1 billion of environmental and general liability insurance coverage.
- Represented a major New York real estate developer in a series of litigations and an insurance appraisal proceeding arising out of the terrorist acts of September 11, 2001, helping to secure hundreds of millions of dollars for the redevelopment of downtown Manhattan.
- Represented a distributor of synthetic rubber in federal and state antitrust actions brought in jurisdictions throughout the country, resulting in favorable settlements of all asserted claims.
- Represented a well-known athletic apparel company at trial, helping to yield a multi-million dollar jury verdict for a client that was initially named as the defendant, but re-designated as the plaintiff after the initiation of trial.
- Represented a group of electronic security entrepreneurs against the purchaser of their business and former employer, obtaining a favorable outcome following litigation and mediation.
- Harvard Law School
(J.D., magna cum laude, 1993)
- Harvard Law Review:
- Editor and Developments Editor, 1991-1993
- John M. Olin Fellow in Law and Economics, 1992-1993
- Harvard Law Review:
- Amherst College
(B.A., Phi Beta Kappa, 1990)
- Woods-Travis Prize, Awarded to Student Graduating with Highest Academic Average
- James R. Nelson Memorial Award, Awarded to Outstanding Student in Economics
- Friedman, Kaplan, Seiler & Adelman LLP:
- Partner, 2000-2007
- Associate, 1995-2000
- Law Clerk to the Hon. J. Harvie Wilkinson III:
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, 1993-1994
- Selected to SuperLawyers (2007, 2014-2018)
- Member, Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Member, Federal Bar Council