Alex Loomis has extensive experience in international and appellate litigation, in particular in litigation involving foreign sovereigns and in foreign judgment enforcement actions. Alex regularly leads dispositive motion and appellate briefing in federal and state courts around the country on a broad range of subject matter, including healthcare fraud, patent, healthcare fraud, antitrust, class actions, and general commercial litigation. Alex has argued appeals before the Fifth Circuit and the Massachusetts Appeals Court, and has cross-examined an expert witness in a $100 million trial in Florida state court.
Some of Alex’s notable victories include obtaining a dismissal of a $700 million lawsuit filed against defense and technology companies in the Northern District of California; successfully appealing the modification of an attachment before the Second Circuit; preparing an alter ego complaint against a state-owned enterprise that resulted in successful resolution of the claim before motion practice even began; and obtaining dismissals of False Claims Act litigation against leading healthcare companies and COVID-19 tuition-refund suits against universities.
Alex maintains an active pro bono practice. He has obtained an emergency stay of a housing court’s eviction order just hours before the eviction was to take place; a published Appeals Court opinion reversing, on an abuse-of-discretion standard of review, a probate court’s modification and Rule 60 order; a dismissal of a contempt action; and a negotiated $17,000 settlement and complete dismissal of an eviction action for an indigent tenant.
Before joining the firm in 2018, Alex worked as a clerk to the Honorable Judge Debra Ann Livingston on the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. Alex graduated magna cum laude from Harvard Law School in 2017, where he won the Sears Prize and was a semifinalist and oralist in the Ames Moot Court competition. He has published extensively on international and national security law.
- Harvard Law School
- (J.D., magna cum laude, 2017)
- Sears Prize, 2016
- Harvard National Security Journal:
- Senior Editor
- Ames Moot Court:
- Semifinalist, 2016
- Semifinalist, 2016
- Harvard College
- (B.A., Philosophy, cum laude, 2012)
- The State Bar of Massachusetts
- United States District Court:
- District of Massachusetts
- United States Court of Appeals:
- D.C. Circuit
- Federal Circuit
- First Circuit
- Second Circuit
- Fifth Circuit
- Ninth Circuit
- Tenth Circuit
- Law Clerk for the Honorable Debra A. Livingston:
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, 2017-2018
- Ranked in The Best Lawyers in America: Ones to Watch for Appellate Practice and Commercial Litigation, 2023
- Jack Goldsmith & Alex Loomis, “Defend Forward” and Sovereignty, in The United States’ Defend Forward Cyber Strategy: A Comprehensive Legal Assessment (2022).
- Alex H. Loomis, The Power to Define Offenses Against the Law of Nations, 40 HARVARD JOURNAL OF PUBLIC POLICY 417 (2017).
- Alex Loomis, Ziglar v. Abbasi: A Summary, Lawfare (June 20, 2017).
- Alex Loomis, Will the Supreme Court Consider the Risk of Trump's Post-Ruling Tweets?, Lawfare (June 6, 2017).
- Alex Loomis, Why Are the Lower Courts (Mostly) Ignoring Zivotofsky I's Political Question Analysis?, Lawfare (May 19, 2016).
- Alex Loomis, Are Top-level Domains Property?, Lawfare (Jan. 5, 2016).
- Alex Loomis, The Safe Harbor Framework Is Dead, Lawfare (Oct. 6, 2015).
- Alex Loomis, Is the Safe Harbor Framework in Trouble?, Lawfare (Oct. 1, 2015).
- Alex Loomis, The New York Times Is Confused About the Law of War Manual, Lawfare (Aug. 12, 2015).