John McKee’s practice focuses on high-stakes intellectual property disputes. He has a degree in electrical engineering from the University of Texas at Austin and has applied his technical training to patent litigation matters including technologies such as the Android operating system, DOCSIS, automotive wireless hotspots, anti-malware software, LEDs, magnetic backup tapes, cellular baseband processors, 3G/4G cellular standards, and cloud infrastructure. Mr. McKee has litigated in jurisdictions throughout the country, including the Northern and Eastern Districts of Texas, the Northern, Central, and Southern Districts of California, the District of Delaware, the Eastern District of Texas, the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, the International Trade Commission, and the Patent Trial and Appeal Board.
Mr. McKee has handled all aspects of litigation from pre-suit diligence through ongoing royalties proceedings following resolution of post-trial motions. He was lead counsel for Sony on two IPRs filed by FUJIFILM, successfully defending the validity of two of Sony’s patents.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. McKee was an associate at intellectual property boutique Fitzpatrick, Cella, Harper & Scinto. While at Fitzpatrick, Mr. McKee represented a variety of clients in patent litigation matters, including Canon.
In 2014 and 2019, Mr. McKee was selected as a New York “rising star” by Super Lawyers magazine. In 2019, he was named to Patexia’s list of top 100 attorneys representing petitioners at the PTAB.
- International Business Machines
- TCL Multimedia
- Certain Light-Emitting Diode Products, Systems, and Components Thereof (III), Inv. No. 337-TA-1168 (ITC)
- Barcode Scanners, Scan Engines, Products Containing the Same, and Components Thereof, Inv. No. 337-TA-1165 (ITC)
- Trusted Knight Corp. v. International Business Machines Corp., No. 3:19-cv-01206 (N.D. Cal.)
- AlmondNet, Inc. v. Oath Holdings Inc., No. 1:18-cv-00943 (D. Del.)
- Mobile Electronic Devices and Radio Frequency and Processing Components, Inv. No. 337-TA-1093 (ITC)
- Mobile Electronic Devices and Radio Frequency and Processing Components, Inv. No. 337-TA-1065 (ITC)
- Qualcomm Incorporated v. Apple Inc., 3:17-cv-01375 (S.D. Cal.)
- ZitoVault, LLC v. International Business Machines Corp. et al., No. 3:16-cv-00962 (N.D. Tex.)
- AlmondNet, Inc. et al. v. Yahoo! Inc., No. 1:16-cv-01557 (E.D.N.Y.)
- FUJIFILM Corp. et al. v. Sony Corp., IPR2017-01389 and IPR2017-01390 (PTAB)
- Magnetic Tape Cartridges and Components Thereof, Inv. No. 337-TA-1036 (ITC)
- Trusted Knight Corp. v. International Business Machines Corp. et al., No. 1:14-cv-01063 (D. Del.)
- Apple Inc. v. Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., et al., No. 5:12-cv-00630 (N.D. Cal.)
- Boston College Law School
- The University of Texas at Austin
(B.S., Electrical Engineering, 2007)
- Fitzpatrick, Cella, Harper & Scinto:
- Associate, 2010-2012
- Selected as a Super Lawyers “Rising Star” for New York, 2014-2018