James Pak is an experienced patent litigator and trial lawyer in Quinn Emanuel’s Los Angeles office. He handles high-stake patent disputes for clients in the U.S. federal courts, before the U.S. International Trade Commission, and in confidential portfolio license negotiations around the world.
In the courtroom, James has helped many clients in diverse industry sectors obtain complete victories. As lead counsel for a global automotive company, he obtained a dismissal with prejudice against a well-funded NPE for lack of standing in the Central District of California, which was affirmed by the Federal Circuit in a precedential opinion. In a parallel IPR proceeding, his team obtained cancellation of all asserted claims. For a global leader in the 3-D cinema industry, James co-led the trial team on the technical issues, obtaining a finding of infringement of all asserted claims against all accused products in the USITC. In defense of the second largest laminate flooring product manufacturer, he helped the client obtain a jury verdict of non-infringement and invalidity of all asserted claims in the Eastern District of Wisconsin.
James has been a long-term trusted advisor to clients facing many difficult claims. In particular, he has deep experience in representing clients in confidential license negotiations dealing with Standard Essential Patents (“SEPs”) and FRAND obligations since 2001, spanning from 1.5G standards to the current 5G wireless protocols. In addition, he has worked with clients on patent claims directed to display devices, semiconductors, audio and video encoders and decoders, fingerprint recognition devices, and internet content delivery services. For his role across various industries, James has been recognized as one of IAM Licensing 250 – The World’s Leading Patent and Technology Licensing Practitioners, selected by the IP Media Group. In addition, he has been ranked by Chambers Global for USA: Intellectual Property – Foreign Expert for South Korea since 2020.
James received his J.D. and LL.M, in International and Comparative Laws from Duke University School of Law, and B.S.E in Civil & Environmental Engineering from Duke University.
- Hyundai Motor Company
- Kia Corporation
- Hyundai Mobis, Co., Ltd.
- SOLiD Co., Ltd.
- Hanwha Solutions Corporation
- Suprema, Inc.
- SK hynix Co., Ltd.
- Represented a leading 3-D cinema company which successfully obtained a judgment of infringement of all asserted patent claims against all accused devices in a Section 337 USITC proceeding.
- Represented a global automotive company which obtained a dismissal with prejudice for lack of standing against a well-funded NPE in the Central District of California. The district court decision was affirmed by the Federal Circuit.
- Represented a laminate flooring products manufacturer which successfully obtained a jury verdict of non-infringement and invalidity of all asserted patent claims on multiple grounds in the Eastern District of Wisconsin.
- Represented a global automotive company in filling 10 IPR petitions against a patent owner which led to a favorable settlement shortly thereafter.
- Represented a semiconductor company which obtained the first reported summary judgment of invalidity for obviousness under the Supreme Court's KSR v. Teleflex decision.
- Represented a leading shoe manufacturer against a Korean competitor in the USITC, resulting in a settlement following a denial of motion for summary determination of non-infringement.
- Counseled and represented various manufacturers of wireless telecommunications equipment and LCD products in numerous patent license negotiations and settlement discussions.
- Duke University School of Law
- (J.D., 1997)
- Duke University School of Law
- (LL.M., Comparative Law, 1997)
- Duke University
- (B.S., Engineering, 1994)
- The State Bar of California
- United States District Courts:
- Southern District of California
- Central District of California
- District of Colorado
- Eastern District of Wisconsin
- Northern District of California
- United States Supreme Court of California
- Baker & McKenzie LLP
- Partner, 2005-2019
- Chambers Global – Foreign Expertise in South Korea: Intellectual Property – USA, 2020-2023
- IAM Licensing 250 – The World’s Leading Patent and Technology Licensing Practitioners
- Frequent lecturer on U.S. patent litigation in various conferences in Korea and Japan.
- American Bar Association