José R. Pereyó is Of Counsel in Quinn Emanuel’s Washington office. He has been with the firm since since 2014. His practice focuses on international commercial arbitration and investment arbitration. He represents clients in international disputes all around the world and has experience with investor-state and commercial arbitrations administered by the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID), the International Court of Arbitration of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), and ad hoc arbitrations under the UNCITRAL Rules, amongst others. Mr. Pereyó also has experience in commercial litigation.
- TP Ferro Concesionaria, S.A.
- Euro Gas
- B-Mex, L.L.C.
- Grupo Isolux Corsán, S.A.
- Grupo Odebrecht
- Spentex Industries Limited & Spentex Netherlands, B.V.
- The Republic of Albania
- The Republic of Panama
- Mayagüez, S.A.
- Represents a group of financial creditors of an international consortium on the international section between Figueres and Perpignan of a new high-speed railway line, which was signed between the concessionaire on the one hand, and the Kingdom of Spain and the Republic of France, on the other hand.
- Represents US investors in a dispute under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) against the United Mexican States.
- Represented the Republic of Panama in an ICSID arbitration under the BIT between the United States and Panama presented by US investors related to assets for the production of asphalt.-IBT Group, LLC and others v. Republic of Panama (ICSID Case No. ARB 14/33).
- Represented US investors in an international investment arbitration under the UNCITRAL rules, to be initiated against Bolivia for the expropriation of certain mining concessions on behalf of the Bolivian government.
- Represented Spentex Netherlands B.V. in its multimillion-dollar claim under the Bilateral Investment Treaty between the Kingdom of the Netherlands and the Republic of Uzbekistan.
- Represented the Republic of Albania in an energy dispute with the largest energy provider in the country.
- Represented US and Canadian investors in a dispute against the Slovak Republic following the expropriation of a talc mine.
- Represented a Greek company in an ICC dispute over a construction project.
- London School of Economics and Political Science
(LL.M., International Arbitration and Information Technology (Commercial Law specialism), 2010)
- University of Puerto Rico School of Law
(Juris Doctor, 2007)
- Georgetown University
(B.S., Foreign Service, International Politics, International Law, Organization and Ethics, 2004)
- The Paris Bar
- The District of Columbia Bar
- The Commonwealth of Puerto Rico Bar
- United States District Court:
- District of Puerto Rico
- Legal Advisor:
- International Court of Arbitration of the International Chamber of Commerce
- Named a ‘Rising Star’ in International Arbitration by Law360’s Top Attorneys Under 40, 2022
- Named a ‘Future Leader - Non-Partners’ in Arbitration by Who's Who Legal, 2021 and 2022
- A Bridge too far: A survey into an arbitrator’s ex officio application of the law, Revista Brasileira de Arbitragem, No. 36 (Oct – Dec 2012).
- Panorama de Jurisprudencia Francesa, comentario sobre el caso Dallah, Spain Arbitration Review (Revista del Club Español de Arbitraje), No. 15/2012.
- Crimen y Rehabilitación: La Experiencia de las Cortes de Drogas, 75 Rev. Jur. UPR 1455 (2006).
Conferences and Debates
- Speaker at the ICC YAF Conference "Arbitration in Tourism Projects in the Latin American Region", within the framework of the VII Central American Convention on Arbitration Centers "Efficient conduction of arbitration processes: challenges and opportunities" held in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic (October 29, 2017).
- Speaker at the ICC YAF Conference "Globalization and Transparency in International Arbitration" within the framework of the 2nd ICC Mexican Arbitration Day held in Mexico City, Mexico (June 21, 2018).
- Speaker at the Freshfields-ASIL Young Arbitrator Debate on "This House believes that Section 1782 is a disruptive discovery mechanism that can give rise to guerrilla tactics and the circumvention of procedural rules established by arbitral tribunals" held in Washington, D.C. (November 28, 2018).
- Speaker at the ICC YAF Conference "Updates and expansion of international arbitration in Latin America in the energy, mining, infrastructure, finance and telecommunications" within the framework of the X International Arbitration Congress held in San José, Costa Rica (February 24, 2019).
- Speaker at Conference “Arbitration and Technology” within the framework of the IX Convention of Centro American and Caribbean Arbitration Centers in Tegucigalpa, Honduras (September 27, 2019).
- Speaker at Costa Rica Young Arbitrators Conference “Investment Treaty Disputes and State Procurement of Legal Services” within the framework of the 2019 Costa Rica Arbitration Day (October 4, 2019).
- Speaker at ICC YAF Conference “Who wants to be an arbitrator” within the framework of the ICC Miami Conference (November 13, 2020).
- Speaker at ALARB Conference “Past, Present, and Future of International Arbitration in Latin America” within the framework of the ALARB 10Th Anniversary Conference (October 29, 2021).
- Selected as the United States Representative in a new project of the Latino American Arbitration Association called ALARB-Siguiente Generación
- Selected as a member of the United States Chapter of the Latin American Arbitration Practitioners
- Member of the ICC’s Latin American Arbitration Group.