Gabriel F. Soledad is a partner in Quinn Emanuel’s Washington D.C. office. He re-joined the firm in 2013 from the Obama White House. His practice focuses on cross-border white-collar matters, internal investigations, complex commercial disputes and international arbitrations. His experience as a litigator, his language skills, and his unique background in Latin America, Europe and the United States give Mr. Soledad the ability to represent clients in matters involving multiple jurisdictions and legal systems.
Mr. Soledad twice graduated from Stanford University, receiving both a J.D. and a B.A. in International Relations, with honors. Prior to joining Quinn Emanuel, he was a senior associate at a large New York litigation firm. In 2010, Mr. Soledad left Quinn Emanuel for public service. He served as a senior official in the Office of the United States Trade Representative (“USTR”) and the International Trade Administration (“ITA”), the U.S. agencies primarily responsible for developing and managing the United States’ international trade agenda and economic relationships with foreign trading partners.
Mr. Soledad’s practice focuses exclusively on cross-border criminal investigations and complex commercial disputes involving parallel investigations and litigation in several jurisdictions, including in Latin America. In the criminal context, Mr. Soledad primarily represents foreign individuals and corporations in federal and state investigations involving financial, securities and tax fraud; bribery; and OFAC violations. Mr. Soledad also advises clients in connection with international extradition matters, human rights cases and petitions to INTERPOL. In the civil context, Mr. Soledad represents clients (on both the plaintiff and defense side) in cross-border commercial disputes, primarily involving RICO, fraud, money laundering, sanctions and securities violations. Mr. Soledad’s unique government experience enables him to leverage diplomatic channels, as well as differences in foreign legal systems to resolve cross-border investigations and disputes. Mr. Soledad further assists clients in developing and implementing crisis management and public relations strategies, as well as in designing corporate compliance and testing programs.
Mr. Soledad is currently representing or has represented clients throughout Latin America, including in Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Honduras, Mexico, Peru, Uruguay and Venezuela.
Mr. Soledad is fluent in Spanish.
- Representing the prior owners of a leading Mexican pharmaceutical company, in a multi-billion dollar fraud lawsuit arising from their sale of the company to one of the world’s largest pharmaceutical companies.
- Representing an international consortium of plaintiffs from over a dozen countries, including from Argentina, Chile and Mexico, in a multi-billion dollar fraud lawsuit against a major U.S. financial institution for its participation in the collapse of a Mexican oil services company.
- Representing two former Mexican governors in potential U.S. extradition proceedings in connection with the Mexican government’s allegations of illicit conduct during their respective tenures as governor.
- Representing the largest online travel agency in Latin America in connection with a lawsuit alleging false and misleading business practices.
- Representing a senior executive of one of the largest U.S.-based multinational companies in connection with high-profile DOJ and SEC FCPA investigations into its practices in Mexico and elsewhere.
- Representing a major South American organization in connection with U.S. criminal investigations and prosecutions into allegations of bribery and corruption in the international soccer world.
- Representing a high-ranking Mexican judicial officer in connection with an ongoing multi-billion dollar lawsuit alleging bribery.
- Representing one of the largest Mexican asset management firms and its owners in connection with a billion-dollar dispute with its international partners in a Mexican oil services company.
- Stanford Law School
- Stanford University
(B.A., International Relations, with Honors, 2002)
- The State Bar of New York
- The State Bar of California
- The District of Columbia Bar
- United States District Courts:
- Southern District of New York
- Eastern District of New York
- Executive Office of the President of the United States, Office of the United States Trade Representative (USTR):
- Senior Advisor, 2012-2013
- United States Department of Commerce, International Trade Administration (ITA):
- Senior Advisor, 2010-2012
- Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP:
- Associate, 2010
- Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP:
- Senior Associate, 2005-2010
- Selected as one of Law360’s Top Attorneys Under 40 – White Collar (2020)
- Selected as one of the Washington Business Journal’s 2018 "40 Under 40"
- “Arbitration Advocacy and Criminal Matters: The Arbitration Advocate as Master of Strategy,” The Guide to Advocacy - Third Edition, Global Arbitration Review (2018)