Nathan Sun is Of Counsel in the San Francisco office. His practice focuses on complex commercial litigation and intellectual property litigation, including copyright, patent, trade secret, unfair competition, and false advertising claims. He has represented clients in fields including DNA sequencing, medical devices, semiconductor devices, wafer manufacturing methods, electronic circuit devices, internal combustion engines, hybrid electric vehicles, computer security and storage technologies, cellular phone technology, wireless audio technology, and computer network infrastructure. He has litigated cases from inception through trial in state and federal courts, as well as the International Trade Commission.
- Ant Financial
- Bio-Rad Laboratories
- General Motors
- Rimrock Capital Management
- Obtained trial victory in the International Trade Commission on behalf of Bio-Rad in a patent infringement action against 10X Genomics relating to microfluidic devices for use in DNA sequencing. Successfully defended trial victory on appeal to the Federal Circuit.
- Obtained trial victory for Crestview in a $400 million dispute in Delaware Chancery Court concerning portfolio company corporate governance and exit rights.
- Won motions to transfer patent cases filed by Global Equity Management (SA) Pty. Ltd. against various Alibaba entities in the Eastern District of Texas to the Northern District of California. Subsequently won determinations of invalidity in inter partes reviews regarding all of the patent claims asserted in those actions.
- Obtained successful settlement on behalf of General Motors in a patent infringement action against Blitzsafe Texas LLC in the Eastern District of Texas involving wireless audio technology.
- Obtained successful settlement on behalf of Rimrock asserting securities fraud claims in connection with its purchase of bonds from Italian waste management company.
- Obtained summary judgment for Yandex in a copyright infringement action involving allegations of direct and secondary copyright infringement related to internet search and hosting services.
- University of Michigan Law School
(J.D., magna cum laude, 2012)
- Order of the Coif
- Order of the Coif
- Wesleyan University
(B.A., Philosophy and Religious Studies; minor in Neuroscience, 2009)
- The State Bar of California
- United States Court of Appeals:
- Federal Circuit
- United States District Courts:
- Northern District of California