Anthony (Tony) A. Bongiorno is the Chair of Health Care Practice. He has extensive first-chair jury trial experience in a variety of commercial matters. Tony has successfully tried cases in various federal and state courts around the country. In addition to his significant jury trial experience, Tony has also tried matters under the auspices of the American Arbitration Association, the International Centre for Dispute Resolution and the International Chamber of Commerce. Tony has represented clients in many industries, including energy, healthcare, life sciences, and construction.
Tony’s practice focuses on health care, as well as mass tort, product liability defense and complex litigation. Tony has extensive experience in cases involving health care IT systems, alternative energy deals, and data privacy and security matters.
In the employment area, Tony has tried cases for publicly owned and privately held companies in disputes with minority shareholders; and has also tried cases for companies in disputes that arise under stock option plans, such as issues involving exercise, vesting and valuation, and in trade secret litigation.
- Steward Health Care System LLC
- Siemens Gamesa
- Etrinsic Health
- Obtained a landmark $230 million arbitration award on behalf of an ethanol plant developer in a case involving complex pricing issues pertaining to the ethanol, corn and related commodity markets
- Represented a multinational petroleum company in a mass tort, product liability multi-district litigation that culminated in a seven-month jury trial.
- Successfully defended in international petroleum corporation in a seven week jury trial in a case involving product liability and related tort claims.
- Obtained a complete defense award on behalf of defendant corporation in an arbitration brought by a minority shareholder seeking over $40 million in additional stock and damages.
- Successfully defended a public utility in a lengthy trial involving the failed development of a cogeneration project in Massachusetts.
- Successfully represented an international developer in a lengthy arbitration involving the largest proposed wind farm project in the United States.
- Enforced nondisclosure and non-competition agreements and successfully defended a client in a trial involving an issue of first impression under Section 510 of the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA).
- Defended a leading sports and entertainment insurance company in a trial involving claims for misappropriation of trade secrets and employee raiding.
- Boston University School of Law
- Amherst College
- The State Bar of Massachusetts
- United States District Court:
- District of Massachusetts
- United States Court of Appeals:
- First Circuit
- McDermott, Will, & Emery:
- Partner, 1995-2021
- Ranked by Chambers USA Massachusetts 2021-2023 in Litigation: General Commercial and quoted as “a terrific and really talented attorney."
- The Legal 500 2020
- Chambers USA 2020
- The Best Lawyers in America 2013 to 2022 - 2024 Privacy and Data Security Law
- The Best Lawyers in America 2022, 2024 Commercial Litigation
- Benchmark Litigation 2014 and 2015, 2018 to 2020 Litigation Star, Products Liability and Commercial Litigation
- New Restrictions On Using Non-Competes In Massachusetts – What You Need To Know. Evan A. Belosa, Anthony A. Bongiorno, Rachel B. Cowen, Andrew C. Liazos. August 13, 2018
- Privacy And Data Protection: 2014 Year In Review. December 10, 2014.
- Federal State Law Liability For Call Center Operators. August 28, 2014.
- Noncompetes May Become Unenforceable In Mass. June 12, 2014.
- Proposed Ban On Non-Competes In Massachusetts. Anthony A. Bongiorno, Andrew C. Liazos. May 30, 2014.
- Boston Bar Association