Richard W. Erwine is a partner in Quinn Emanuel’s New York Office. Richard’s practice focuses on intellectual property litigation with a particular emphasis on patent litigation. Based on his electrical engineering degree, Richard often represents computer hardware and software companies. Richard has litigated substantial matters for clients such as IBM, Samsung, Google, Sony, Motorola, and Covidien. In connection with such matters, Richard has successfully obtained resolutions by way of summary judgment, dismissal, and/or settlement following favorable claim construction rulings or other pretrial proceedings.
- Representing Samsung in a patent infringement action in the Northern District of California involving smartphone technology.
- Representing MotionPoint in a patent infringement action in the Northern District of California involving web site translation software.
- Representing Funai and MediaTek in an International Trade Commission Investigation involving MPEG and Wi-Fi technology.
- Represented Motorola in a patent infringement action in the Northern District of Illinois involving several patents covering a multitude of disparate technologies.
- Represented Respondent Cablevision in an International Trade Commission Investigation involving five set top box patents. The International Trade Commission terminated the Investigation in September 2011 – a complete victory for Cablevision.
- Represented Plaintiff Tyco Healthcare in a patent infringement action in the Eastern District of Texas in which the jury found Tyco Healthcare’s patents to be valid and infringed by Defendant Applied Medical Resources Corp.
- Represented Samsung in a patent infringement action in the Eastern District of Texas involving turbo decoding for wireless communications. Obtained a favorable resolution by way of settlement.
- Represented IBM in a patent infringement action in the Southern District of California involving four patents covering four disparate technologies. Obtained a favorable resolution by way of settlement.
- Represented IBM in a complex action in the Southern District of New York involving several allegations, including assertion of ten patents related to mainframe computers. District court granted summary judgment in favor of IBM.
- Represented MediaTek in a multi-patent litigation involving HDTV communications and digital signal processing. Obtained a favorable resolution by way of settlement.
- Defended Third Wave Technologies in a patent litigation in the Western District of Wisconsin related to Hepatitis C diagnostic tools. Negotiated a favorable settlement for Third Wave.
- Ohio State University College of Law
- University Of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
(B.S., Electrical Engineering, cum laude, 1990)
- The State Bar of New York
- United States Court of Appeals:
- Federal Circuit
- United States District Court:
- Southern District of New York
- Eastern District of New York
- Eastern District of Texas
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Morgan & Finnegan, LLP, New York, NY:
- Partner, 2005
- Associate, 1995-2004
- Recognized by IAM Patent 1000 for Litigation in NY, 2022