Leonid Feller is a partner in Quinn Emanuel’s Chicago office. A former federal prosecutor, Lenny is an experienced trial lawyer, serving as lead counsel in dozens of federal and state court jury trials, appeals, and arbitrations across the country. In his government investigations practice, Lenny has defended companies and individuals before the Department of Justice (DOJ), the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), and State Attorneys General around the country. In his complex litigation practice, Lenny has represented clients in antitrust cases, False Claims Act suits, consumer class actions, mass tort and product liability litigation, and various other types of disputes in federal and state courts nationwide and before the Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation (JPML). Lenny also has an active pro bono practice and has secured the exoneration and release of several wrongly convicted defendants.
Lenny has been widely recognized for his work in both criminal defense and civil litigation. He has been named as an Illinois Super Lawyer for White Collar Criminal Defense by Super Lawyers Magazine, a Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyer by Lawdragon 500, and to the Criminal Defense Top 100 by the National Trial Lawyers.
In addition to his law practice, Lenny has served as a lecturer at the University of Michigan Law School since 2009, where he has taught courses on federal criminal prosecution, investigation, and defense. He is the co-author of Criminal Pretrial Advocacy 3d Ed. (West 2019) and numerous other scholarly works.
- Abbott Laboratories
- CF Industries
- Etkin Johnson Real Estate Partners
- FCA Group
- First Brands Group
- Gaylord Chemical Company
- General Motors
- Marfrig Global Foods
- Mercuria Energy
- National Beef Packing Company
- Olympia Development of Michigan
- Packaging Corporation of America
- Prospect Mortgage
- R1 RCM
- Safeguard Properties
- University of Phoenix
- In re Automotive Parts Antitrust Litigation (U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan). Represented FCA Group in price-fixing suit against automotive parts supplier.
- In re Cattle Antitrust Litigation (U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota). Secured dismissal of Marfrig Global Foods in consolidated suit alleging collusion in the beef/cattle industry.
- In re Delta Dental Antitrust Litigation (U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois). Represent plaintiffs in consolidated complaint asserting insurers suppressed competition and fixed provider reimbursement rates.
- Energy Conversion Devices Liquidation Trust v. Trina Solar Limited (U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan). Successfully defended against claims of price-fixing in solar panel industry. Motion to dismiss granted and dismissal affirmed on appeal.
- Kleen Products et al. v. Packaging Corp. of America et al. (U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois). Represented Packaging Corp. of America in class action alleging an agreement among containerboard manufacturers to restrict output and increase prices. Settled on favorable terms.
- Heinen & Mason, Inc. v. Polaris Sales, Inc. (U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota). Defended Polaris against dealer suit alleging antitrust conspiracy between manufacturer and competing dealers.
Consumer Class Actions and Multidistrict Litigation
- In re General Motors Ignition Switch Litigation (U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York). Trial counsel for General Motors in multidistrict litigation in the Southern District of New York arising from ignition switch and other recalls, as well as related state court actions filed by Arizona Attorney General and Orange County District Attorney.
- In re Takata Airbag Products Liability Litigation (U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida). Lead counsel for General Motors in multidistrict litigation in the Southern District of Florida arising from Takata airbag recall.
- Bund et al. v. Safeguard Properties Management, LLC. (U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington). Lead counsel for nation’s largest provider of preservation services for abandoned properties in default. Succeeded in decertifying 19,000 plaintiff class and securing dismissal of statutory claims, a ruling affirmed by the 9th Circuit. Also successfully represented Safeguard in consumer fraud suit brought by the Illinois Attorney General and in parallel investigations by Maryland Attorney General and Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, as well as other consumer suits around the country.
Health Care and False Claims Act
- U.S. ex rel. Peters et al. v. Abbott Laboratories (U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Tennessee). Defended Abbott Laboratories against qui tam suit alleging improper payments to physicians related to use of biliay, carotid, and peripheral vascular products.
- State of Minnesota v. Accretive Health, Inc. (U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota). Defended Accretive Health in suit by Minnesota Attorney General alleging violations of federal and state privacy, debt collection, and consumer protection laws.
- R1 RCM v. Anesthesia Management Services (American Arbitration Association). Secured judgment on all claims for revenue cycle management provider in suit against physician group for unpaid fees.
- Medversant, Inc. v. State of Michigan (Court of Claims, State of Michigan). Obtained recovery for health care technology company in suit against State of Michigan for wrongfully-terminated services agreement.
- Represent pharmaceutical, medical device, and health care technology companies and executives in non-public investigations conducted by federal and state enforcement agencies alleging off-label promotion, improper sales and marketing practices, pricing issues, and violations of the Anti-Kickback Statute, the False Claims Act, HIPAA and HITECH.
Securities and Shareholder Litigation
- Maurras Trust v. Accretive Health, Inc.; Wong v. Accretive Health, Inc.; Hughes v. Accretive Health, Inc. (U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois; Cook County Circuit Court, State of Illinois; Chancery Court, State of Delaware). Represented Accretive Health in series of putative shareholder class actions and derivative suits based on drop in share price and earnings restatement announcement. Motion to dismiss granted in Maurras Trust; Wong and Hughes settled on favorable terms.
- U.S. v. Coscia (U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois). Represented client in seeking post-conviction relief on charges of spoofing and commodities fraud.
- Walworth v. Mu Sigma et al (Cook County Circuit Court, State of Illinois). Represented investor in securities fraud suit against data analytics company arising from claims of breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Selbst v. McDonald’s Corp. (U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois). Represented McDonald’s in putative shareholder class action based on drop in share price. Motion to dismiss granted.
- Edwards v. Weirton Steel Corp. (U.S. District Court, Northern District of West Virginia). Defended steel manufacturer and its officers against ERISA claims alleging breach of fiduciary duty arising from delay of stock distribution from two ESOPs. Settled on favorable terms.
- Provide continuing, non-public representation and counseling to corporate and individual clients in regulatory and investigative matters before the SEC.
- Roston v. IAC/InterActiveCorp et al. (U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois; Alameda Cty Superior Court, California). Represent IAC, Ask Media Group, and Bluecrew in federal declaratory judgment action and state court suit arising from valuation dispute over stock appreciation rights and claim of wrongful termination by former CEO of IAC Publishing and Bluecrew.
- U.S. v. Prospect Mortgage (U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia). Represented Prospect Mortgage in connection with U.S. government’s industry-wide investigation of FHA-lending practices before HUD-OIG and DOJ.
- Independent Trust Corp. v. Stewart Title Co. et al. (Cook County Circuit Court, State of Illinois). Represented PricewaterhouseCoopers in connection with regulatory actions arising out of fraud committed by trust company and its directors. Secured judgments for PwC as state receiver in excess of $68 million.
- Matter of James E. O’Kane and Morgan Stanley Dean Witter et al. (New York Stock Exchange). Represented Morgan Stanley broker in NYSE arbitration against claims of unsuitable investments, securing defense verdict and expungement of claim from broker’s record.
- Douglas Etkin v. Bruce Etkin (American Arbitration Association). Secured judgment for defendant and award of fees in suit claiming breach of contract arising from $247 million real estate transaction.
Mass Tort, Toxic Tort, and Environmental Litigation
- In re Volkswagen “Clean Diesel” MDL (U.S. District Court, N.D.Cal.). Represented VW in criminal, civil, and regulatory proceedings arising from emissions controls in diesel engines.
- In re Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill (U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana). Represented BP in criminal, civil, and regulatory proceedings arising from Deepwater Horizon oil spill.
- In re Chemical Release at Bogalusa. (22nd Judicial District Court, Washington Parish, State of Louisiana). Trial counsel for Gaylord Chemical Co. in four-month, 16,000-plaintiff class action jury trial arising from railcar explosion and release of nitrogen tetroxide. Favorable verdict for client.
- W.W. Grainger Asbestos Litigation. National coordinating counsel for asbestos litigation.
- U.S. ex rel. Hoggett v. University of Phoenix et al. (U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California). Secured dismissal of qui tam suit alleging violations of Department of Education’s incentive compensation ban.
- In re UAL Corp. (U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of Illinois). Counsel for United Airlines in litigation matters arising from its Chapter 11 reorganization. Secured successful modification of health care benefits following contested evidentiary hearing.
- In re Dade Behring Holdings, Inc. (U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of Illinois). Counsel for medical-supply company in contested hearings that resulted in successful $1.5 billion restructuring.
Dealer and Franchise Litigation
- Oldsmobile Phase-Out Litigation. Counsel for General Motors in dozens of dealer suits nationwide alleging statutory, contract, and tort claims arising from phase-out of the Oldsmobile Division. Secured dismissal of numerous plaintiffs’ claims and settled others on favorable terms.
- Motor Werks Partners, L.P. v. BMW of North America, Inc. (U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois). Represented BMW in dealer’s breach of contract action claiming manufacturer wrongfully denied plaintiff the right to sell MINI Cooper automobiles, securing favorable settlement.
- Flagler Automotive, Inc. v. Exxon Mobil Corp. (U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida); Dan Gill v. Exxon Mobil Corp. (Neuces County Court, Texas); Zourob, Inc. et al. v. Exxon Mobil Corp. (Wayne County Circuit Court, Michigan). Defended ExxonMobil against putative dealer classes alleging unfair gasoline pricing in federal and state courts, securing denial of class certification and dismissal of claims.
- Ronald Alcorn v. BP Products North America, Inc. (U.S. District Court, District of Minnesota). Defended BP against claims by twenty-three Twin Cities retail dealers alleging unfair gasoline pricing. Settled on favorable terms.
- Salik Rao v. BP Products North America, Inc. (U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois). Trial counsel for BP in franchisee suit seeking temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction to prevent termination. Secured denial of injunctive relief following evidentiary hearing and eventual dismissal of all claims.
- Prime Steak Chicago, Inc. et al. v. Ruth U. Fertel, Inc. et al. (U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois). Represented Ruth’s Chris Steak House against franchisee alleging breach of agreement to award new restaurants.
Data Security and Privacy
- Provide non-public representation to companies that have experienced significant security breaches involving sensitive business information, including health care and private equity clients. Led incident response teams and was responsible for internal investigations, crisis management, public disclosures, and litigation strategies arising from the data intrusions.
- Notable appellate opinions in private practice:
- James v. Safeguard Properties, 821 F. App’x 683 (9th Cir. 2020)
- Energy Conversion Devices Liquidation Trust v. Trina Solar Limited, 833 F.3d 680 (6th Cir. 2016)
- Wong v. Accretive Health, Inc., 773 F.3d 859 (7th Cir. 2014)
- U.S. v. Durham, 766 F.3d 672 (7th Cir. 2014)
- U.S. v. Earls, 704 F.3d 466 (7th Cir. 2012)
- Notable appellate opinions at U.S. Attorney’s Office, Eastern District of Michigan:
- U.S. v. Daniels, 653 F.3d 399 (6th Cir. 2011)
- U.S. v. Wilson, 614 F.3d 219 (6th Cir. 2010)
- U.S. v. Quesada, 607 F.3d 1128 (6th Cir. 2010)
- U.S. v. Yono, 605 F.3d 425 (6th Cir. 2010)
- U.S. v. Al-Cholan, 610 F.3d 945 (6th Cir. 2010)
- U.S. v. Bowers, 594 F.3d 522 (6th Cir. 2010)
- U.S. v. Castano, 543 F.3d 826 (6th Cir. 2008)
- Celaj v. Gonzales, 186 Fed.Appx. 176 (2d Cir. 2006)
- Represent defendant in re-sentencing proceedings in Michigan court following juvenile sentence of life imprisonment.
- Represented multiple defendants in post-conviction proceedings in Illinois courts following torture finding by Illinois Torture Inquiry and Relief Conviction.
- Secured commutation from Illinois Governor of multi-year sentences against juveniles charged with adult felonies for disciplinary infractions at youth facility.
- Represented Alabama death row inmate in post-conviction proceedings.
- Antitrust & Competition
- Appellate Practice
- Class Action Litigation
- Crisis Law & Strategy Group
- Data Privacy & Security
- Domestic U.S. Arbitration
- Government & Regulatory Litigation
- Health Care Litigation
- Investigations, Government Enforcement & White Collar Criminal Defense Practice
- Litigation Representing Plaintiffs
- Mergers & Acquisitions Litigation
- Product Liability & Mass Torts Litigation
- Securities Litigation
- Sports Litigation
- Harvard Law School
(J.D., cum laude, 2000)
- Irving Oberman Memorial Award
- Journal of Law and Public Policy:
- Harvard Legal Aid Bureau
- University of Michigan
(A.B., Economics & Political Science, highest distinction, 1996)
- Osterweil Prize in Economics
- Michigan Daily:
- Crime beat reporter
- The State Bar of Illinois
- The State Bar of Michigan
- United States Court of Appeals:
- Sixth Circuit
- Seventh Circuit
- Ninth Circuit
- United States District Court:
- Northern District of Illinois, Trial Bar
- Central District of Illinois
- Eastern District of Michigan
- Eastern District of Wisconsin
Kirkland & Ellis:
- Partner, 2011-2019
- Associate, 2001-2005
United States Attorney’s Office, Eastern District of Michigan:
- Assistant United States Attorney, 2006-2011
Wayne State University Law School:
- Adjunct Professor, 2008–11
Law Clerk for the Honorable David A. Nelson:
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, 2000-2001
Cravath, Swaine & Moore:
- Summer Associate, 1999
- Litigation Star by Benchmark Litigation, 2023
- Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyer by Lawdragon 500 (2020, 2021, 2022)
- Illinois Super Lawyer by Super Lawyers Magazine (2021)
- Illinois Rising Star by Super Lawyers Magazine (2013–2016)
- Criminal Defense Top 100 by the National Trial Lawyers (2020)
- Criminal Pretrial Advocacy 3d Ed. (with P. Henning et al.) (West 2019)
- Criminal Pretrial Advocacy 2d Ed. (with P. Henning et al.) (West 2016)
- Criminal Pretrial Advocacy (with P. Henning et al.) (West 2013)
- The Jurisdictional Entrapment Defense, 98 KY. L.J. 103 (2010)
- The Case for Federal Preemption of State Dealer Franchise Laws, 11 U. PA. J. BUS. L. 909 (2009)
- Annual Survey of Michigan Law, Civil Rights, 55 Wayne L. Rev. 119 (2009)
- Help Refinance Homes To Boost Economy At Little Cost, Op-Ed, Detroit Free Press, Feb. 18, 2009
- What The Auto Industry Needs To Survive, Op-Ed, Detroit Free Press, Nov. 12, 2008
- Innocence Lost Conference, FBI New Agent Training, Cambridge, MA, September 14, 2010
- Protecting Victims of Child Prostitution, National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, Alexandria, VA, March 31, 2010
- Protecting Victims of Child Prostitution, National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, Phoenix, AZ, December 17, 2009
- Innocence Lost: Investigation and Prosecution of Sex Trafficking of Children, National Advocacy Center, Columbia, SC, August 12, 2009
- 2009 Innocence Lost National Initiative, St. Louis, MO, June 3, 2009
- Human Trafficking Conference, Michigan State University School of Criminal Justice, Traverse City, MI, May 20, 2008
- Project Safe Childhood, Compuware Corporation, Detroit, MI, July 23, 2007
- University of Michigan Law School, Lecturer (2009–present)
- New Trier Educational Foundation, Board of Directors (2018-present)
- Federal Bar Association, Chicago and Michigan Chapters (2010-present)
- AIPAC, Washington Club Member (2019-present)
- AJC, Marshall Society (2019-present)
- Glencoe Caucus School Board Nominating Committee (2012–14)
- Harvard Law School Alumni Association of Eastern Michigan, Vice President (2010–11)
- Member of the U.S. Courts Committee of the State Bar of Michigan (2010–13)
- Attorney Discipline Board panelist, State Bar of Michigan (2010–11)
- Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Detroit, YAD, Board of Directors (2009–11)
- Jewish Community Center of Metropolitan Detroit, Board of Directors (2009–10)
- Harvard University Schools Committee (2008–11)