Dan Lombard is a skilled litigator who represents clients in complex disputes before federal and state trial and appellate courts across the United States.
Dan has a wide range of experience, including litigation and advisory matters involving billion-dollar contract disputes, class actions, fraud, defamation, product liability, professional liability, fiduciary duty, restrictive covenants, employment disputes, the Uniform Commercial Code, M&A disputes, insolvency litigation, alter ego, real estate disputes, and a variety of business torts. Dan has represented clients in various industries including information technology, communications, private equity, pharmaceuticals, health care, food and beverage, professional services, consumer products, manufacturing, energy, aerospace, and automotive, among others.
Dan has substantial trial experience and has obtained trial victories in several states for clients including IBM, McDonald’s, and Navistar.
- Winston & Strawn, LLP
- Litigation counsel for McDonald’s in a trial involving claims of breach of contract and fraud brought by a franchisee operating several restaurants in Northern California. After a four-week jury trial, the trial court dismissed the plaintiff’s claims in their entirety.
- Litigation counsel to Navistar in a trial involving claims of breach of contract, breach of warranty, and fraud. After a two-week trial, the jury found in Navistar’s favor.
- Litigation counsel to Boeing in a nine-figure contract dispute. Boeing was awarded over $500 million on summary judgment and subsequently prevailed against U.S. affiliates of the foreign defendant on an alter ego theory.
- Litigation and advisory counsel to Edison Mission Energy in investigation of claims against EME’s former parent company. The Chapter 11 plan incorporated a global settlement of all claims and disputes with EME’s former parent, resulting in approximately $1 billion in additional value for EME’s estates.
- Litigation counsel to Winston & Strawn in a $1.6 billion legal malpractice case. Secured dismissal of plaintiff’s complaint with prejudice; the Seventh Circuit affirmed.
- Litigation counsel to McDonald’s in class actions alleging labor law violations at restaurants operated by McDonald’s franchisees, which settled shortly before trial.
- Litigation counsel to Motorola in putative nationwide class actions based on an alleged risk of hearing loss from use of wireless headsets. Favorable settlement obtained for client and approved by district court.
- Litigation counsel to Motorola in a series of cases alleging that radiofrequency energy from wireless phones causes personal injuries.
- Litigation counsel to private equity fund in a post-closing purchase price dispute, which resulted in a significant price adjustment in client’s favor.
- Litigation counsel to PwC in suit involving allegations of negligence based on PwC’s audit of California technology company, which settled shortly before trial.
- Litigation counsel to Navistar in a breach of contract case filed by Ford Motor Company, where Ford sought over $1 billion in damages. After two years of litigation, the parties entered into a confidential settlement agreement. In a joint press release, the parties stated that as part of the settlement, Ford made a cash payment to Navistar, and Navistar also acquired additional equity in certain joint ventures between the companies.
- DePaul University College of Law
(J.D., summa cum laude, 2006)
- DePaul Law Review
- Managing Editor of Lead Articles
- Order of the Coif
- DePaul Law Review
- Boston University
(B.S./B.A., magna cum laude, 2003)
- Kirkland & Ellis:
- Partner, 2012-2015
- Associate, 2006-2012
- Firm Memorandum: Illinois Supreme Court Opens the Floodgates to Biometric Information Privacy Act Suits (February 2019).
- "Curiosity Killed the Cat": A Report on Compliance With Illinois' Freedom Of Information Act (2006)
- Top Secret: A Constitutional Look At The Procedural Problems Inherent In Sealing Civil Court Documents, 55 DePaul L. Rev. 1067 (2006)
- Founding Member, Better Government Association, Young Professional’s Board
- Co-Founder, Chicago FOIA Clinic