Isaac Nesser, chair of the firm's National Banking and Financial Institutions Practice, is an accomplished trial lawyer who for nearly two decades has represented businesses in their most difficult and important disputes, with a focus on claims arising from the sale and management of complex financial products. Isaac has recovered more than $3.5 billion for his clients when representing plaintiffs. In 2021, Isaac was named a securities law MVP by Law360—one of only five in the country—in recognition of his leadership in recovering more than $1.3 billion across scores of litigations in which the presiding judge noted “the excellent reputation of Plaintiff's counsel is well deserved,” that Isaac's teams performed “outstanding, highest-level work,” and that Isaac's teams were “unquestionably candid, prepared, well-organized, effective, thorough, and respectful.” In recent years, Isaac has represented clients in the financial services, fintech, real estate, energy, and telecommunications industries, among others.
- American International Group, Inc.
- Charles Schwab & Co.
- Cisco Systems, Inc.
- The Coca-Cola Company
- Colgate-Palmolive Company
- Cross River Bank
- Elliott Associates, L.P.
- ResCap Liquidating Trust
- Representing the ResCap Liquidating Trust in scores of actions against correspondent lenders, relating to the origination and sale of billions of dollars of defective residential mortgages; recoveries to date exceed $1.2 billion.
- Represented AIG against Bank of America, Merrill Lynch, Countrywide, and others in claims relating to the marketing and sale of mortgage-backed securities. Recoveries to AIG exceeded $2 billion.
- Represented Charles Schwab & Co. in a Martin Act proceeding by the New York Attorney General relating to the sale of auction rate securities.
- Represented a bank in litigation relating to the sale and management of a CDO.
- Represented an asset manager in an appeal concerning the disposition of commercial mortgage-backed securities.
- Represented a real estate asset manager in litigation relating to alleged breaches of contract and fiduciary duty.
- Represented a hedge fund in a multi-forum dispute against its joint venture partner arising out of the sale of stranger-owned life insurance.
- Represented the nation’s largest holder of educational broadband spectrum licenses in a licensing dispute with a leading wireless carrier.
- Represented AIG in America Home Assurance Co. v. Nausch, Hogan & Murray, Inc., 71 A.D.3d 550 (N.Y. App. Div. 2010), which sustained AIG’s indemnity, contribution, negligence, breach of fiduciary duty, and unjust enrichment claims against reinsurance brokers.
- Represented The Coca-Cola Company and Energy Brands, Inc. as national counsel in multiple putative class actions relating to the allegedly deceptive advertising of vitaminwater.
- Represented Colgate-Palmolive Company as national counsel in multiple putative class actions relating to the allegedly deceptive advertising of Softsoap.
- Representing Cisco Systems, Inc. in two Alien Tort Statute litigations arising out of alleged wrongdoing in China.
- Represented Shell Oil in the U.S. Supreme Court in Kiobel v. Royal Dutch Petroleum, No. 10-1491, a case concerning application of the Alien Tort Statute to corporations and to conduct in foreign nations.
- Represented The Coca-Cola Company in Palacios v. Coca-Cola, 2012 WL 4478768 (2d Cir. 2012), which affirmed forum non conveniens dismissal of all claims relating to alleged wrongdoing in Guatemala.
- Represented The Coca-Cola Company in Sinaltrainal v. Coca-Cola, 578 F.3d 1252 (11th Cir. 2009), which affirmed dismissal of all claims in an Alien Tort Statute and RICO complaint relating to alleged wrongdoing in Turkey.
- Represented The Coca-Cola Company in Turedi v. Coca-Cola, 2009 WL 1956206 (2d Cir. 2009), which affirmed forum non conveniens dismissal of all claims in an Alien Tort Statute and consumer fraud complaint relating to alleged international law violations in Colombia.
- Lender Liability & Other Banking Financial Institution Litigation
- Appellate Practice
- Class Action Litigation
- Investment Fund Litigation
- Litigation Representing Plaintiffs
- Real Estate Litigation
- Structured Finance & Derivatives Litigation
- Transnational Litigation
- Product Liability & Mass Torts Litigation
- Blockchain and Digital Asset Practice
- Yale Law School
- Columbia College
(B.A., Political Science and Music, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, 2000)
- The State Bar of New York
- The State Bar of New Jersey
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals:
- Second Circuit
- Ninth Circuit
- United States District Courts:
- Southern District of New York
- Eastern District of New York
- District of New Jersey
- Named Law360 MVP for Securities Litigation, 2021
- Named one of Lawdragon 500 Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyers, 2020, 2021, and 2022
- Panelist, American Constitution Society National Convention, Globalization, Corporate Accountability and the Courts, June 17, 2011.
- Guest Lecturer, Columbia Law School, Alien Tort Statute Litigation and Socio-Economic Rights, Nov. 30, 2007.