Randa Osman is Chair of Quinn Emanuel’s Employment Litigation & Counseling Practice. She has been with Quinn Emanuel since 1995, and her practice focuses on employment litigation and counseling, as well as general commercial litigation. Ms. Osman has extensive experience in employment disputes, and has defended employers in a myriad of employment actions involving claims of discrimination based on race, gender and disability, sexual harassment, retaliation, wrongful termination and employment related torts. Ms. Osman has also represented employers in actions involving misappropriation of trade secrets and confidential information, and violation of non-compete and non-solicitation agreements. She also provides counseling to clients concerning personnel policies and employee discipline and termination, and has represented clients in proceedings before the Labor Commissioner and the EEOC.
Ms. Osman has also represented clients in general civil litigation matters, including fraud, defamation, breach of fiduciary duty, breach of contract, sexual assault and battery and theft of trade secrets. Ms. Osman is a member of the firm's trial practice department, and has tried cases in both federal and state court.
- Ms. Osman has represented IBM, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, Trust Company of the West, Capital Group Companies, Lowe's, AIG, Fox, Disney and Avery Dennison.
- Representing prominent client against allegations of sexual misconduct by multiple accusers, and in action for defamation.
- Obtained favorable settlement for high profile client in action seeking damages of over $100 Million for claims of sexual harassment, discrimination, retaliation and wrongful termination.
- Defended celebrity client in action alleging sexual battery and emotional distress. Represented same client in actions alleging defamation, false light and emotional distress.
- Represented large investment management company in connection with claims based on misrepresentations in the offering materials for residential mortgage-backed securities.
- After a three-week trial, Ms. Osman obtained a complete defense verdict in a racial harassment case brought by multiple plaintiffs against a major studio. The plaintiffs claimed they had been subjected to daily racial slurs and derogatory comments by their supervisors for almost two years. We successfully demonstrated that the plaintiffs were not credible and their witnesses were biased. The jury returned a complete defense verdict against each of the plaintiffs.
- In a state court jury trial, Ms. Osman obtained a nonsuit on plaintiff's sexual harassment and gender discrimination claims, and obtained a defense verdict in favor of a savings and loan on plaintiff's retaliation claim.
- Represented investment management company in a theft of trade secret action against a former portfolio manager and head of fixed income. After a two month trial, the jury returned a verdict finding defendant liable for theft of trade secrets, breach of fiduciary duty and interference with contractual relations. The jury also returned a verdict in favor of Quinn Emanuel’s client on the cross-complaint, which alleged breach of oral contract and sought approximately $500 million in damages.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of major technology company in age discrimination and retaliation case, in which plaintiff claimed he was not promoted and was terminated because of his age and for complaining about discrimination. Ms. Osman also argued the appeal of this matter before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, which affirmed the award of summary judgment.
- Obtained summary judgment on claims of gender discrimination and breach of implied contract brought against a major studio. Successfully defended the grant of summary judgment on appeal.
- Successfully demurred and obtained dismissal with prejudice of plaintiffs' claims for race and national origin discrimination, retaliation, fraud, breach of contract, wrongful termination in violation of public policy, intentional infliction of emotional distress and loss of consortium.
- Successfully defended client at hearing before the Labor Commissioner against claims by six ex-employees for alleged non-payment of bonuses.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of oil company on claims of race discrimination, racial harassment and intentional and negligent infliction of emotional distress.
- University of California Hastings College of the Law
- (J.D., cum laude, 1990)
- Hastings Law Journal:
- Note Editor, 1989-1990
- Staff Member, 1988-1989
- Order of the Coif
- Hastings Law Journal:
- University of Hawaii, Manoa
- Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Adjunct Professor, Sexual Harassment and Employment Discrimination (2012, 2013)
- Southwestern Law School, SCALE Lecture Series and Independent Study on the Profession