Mr. Posner joined Quinn Emanuel in 2004 and is a partner in the Los Angeles office. His diverse practice focuses on complex litigation, particularly involving intellectual property disputes, including copyright, trademark, trade secrets and patent litigation, other commercial litigation, and appellate litigation.
- Tsuburaya Productions
- Gucci America
- Pharrel Williams and Robin Thicke
- Penn National Gaming
- DreamWorks Animation
- Paramount Pictures
- American International Group
- Tinder, Inc.
- Shell Oil
- Benchmark Capital
- Dubai World
- For Japanese entertainment company Tsuburaya Productions, obtained two victories on summary judgment followed by a complete victory following a two-week jury trial in the Central District of California in a copyright infringement case involving rights in the iconic “Ultraman” superhero character created by Tsuburaya in the 1960’s.
- For Mattel, obtained order from Ninth Circuit vacating verdicts of liability for alleged trade-secret misappropriation and damages award of more than $170 million; separately defeated antitrust claims purportedly worth $3 billion and RICO claims with similar alleged stakes; and obtained summary judgment on trade-secrets claims allegedly worth $1 billion.
- Represented Samsung in patent and trade-dress matters involving smartphone and tablet computer technology, including in proceedings in the district court and the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Won summary judgment and a subsequent award of attorneys fees for Penn National Gaming in a breach of contract case. 727 F. Supp. 2d 1100 (D. Kan. 2010); affirmed 662 F.3d 1275 (10th Cir. 2011).
- Obtained defense judgment on the pleadings before discovery or summary judgment of four putative class action lawsuits against a major residential mortgage reinsurer in cases asserting claims under the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act, and subsequently obtained affirmance on appeal in the Third Circuit Court of Appeals.
- On behalf of major animated motion picture studio, obtained highly favorable settlement in copyright infringement case involving alleged infringement of character design.
- On behalf of major motion picture studio, obtained complete voluntary dismissal during discovery of copyright infringement case involving alleged infringement of motion picture script.
- On behalf of movie production company, obtained favorable settlement in copyright infringement case involving alleged infringement of thousands of sound recordings.
- On behalf of a major international Internet search engine, obtained very favorable settlement following summary judgment dismissal of the vast majority of the plaintiff’s claims in a copyright infringement case based on search engine’s provision of links to third-party websites that display allegedly infringing copies of the plaintiff’s images.
- Obtained pre-trial dismissal of eight claims, and defense judgment after five week jury trial on the one remaining claim, in a case brought by a dozen retail gasoline dealers against Shell Oil Company raising a variety of fraud, contract and antitrust claims.
- Appellate Practice
- Class Action Litigation
- Copyright Litigation
- Insurance & Reinsurance Litigation
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Internet Litigation
- Litigation Representing Plaintiffs
- Media & Entertainment Litigation
- Structured Finance & Derivatives Litigation
- Trade Secret Litigation
- Trademark, Trade Dress, Unfair Competition/False Advertising, and Publicity Rights Litigation
- Post-Grant Practice
- Cannabis Litigation
- Georgetown University Law Center
(J.D., cum laude, 2003)
American Criminal Law Review, Editor
Global Law Scholar
- University of California at Berkeley
(B.A., Development Studies, with honors, 1998)
- The State Bar of California
- United States Court of Appeals:
- Third Circuit
- Ninth Circuit
- Tenth Circuit
- Eleventh Circuit
- United States District Courts:
- Central District of California
- Eastern District of California
- Judicial Clerk for the Honorable George H. King:
- United States District Court for the Central District of California, 2003-2004