Joseph Sarles is an experienced trial lawyer, having participated in numerous jury trials in state and federal courts, as well as arbitrations and appeals, in jurisdictions throughout the country. Joseph’s diverse practice includes complex commercial litigation, class actions, partnership disputes, international tort claims, antitrust and unfair competition, securities and structured finance, large contractual disputes, and professional malpractice. Joseph also has extensive experience in intellectual property disputes, including trade secrets, trademarks and trade dress, copyrights, and patents. Joseph has been named a Southern California “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers Magazine in 2014 and 2015.
- Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences
- California Institute of Technology
- The Home Depot
- Knowledge Universe
- Represented the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences in a jury trial, successfully enforcing its right of first refusal over ©OSCAR® statuettes previously awarded to silent film star Mary Pickford.
- Represented Sprint in a class action jury trial, winning a $225 million verdict on offsetting breach of contract cross-claims in class action for defendant Sprint, negating $200 million class damages claims.
- Represented Snapchat in defending against alleged partnership claims asserting an ownership interest in Snapchat.
- Represented a defense subcontractor in RICO and Alien Tort Statute case in the Southern District of Texas arising out of provision of labor at U.S. military bases in Iraq.
- Represented successful Los Angeles business owner at trial against the Los Angeles U.S. Attorney’s Office in a 59-count RICO case. Obtained dismissal of some RICO charges pre-trial, additional dismissal during four-week trial, and remainder through post-trial motions based on government misconduct.
- Represented Mattel in obtaining order from the Ninth Circuit vacating verdicts of liability for alleged trade-secret misappropriation and damages award of more than $170 million.
- Representing The Home Depot in defending a nationwide class action in the Central District of California.
- Representing Samsung in patent and trade dress matters involving smartphone and tablet computer technology.
- Representing Pfizer in defending lawsuit alleging theft of trade secrets by clinical research organization.
- University of Texas School of Law
(J.D., with honors, 2007)
- Texas Law Review:
- Articles Editor, 2006–2007
- Texas Law Review:
- Vanderbilt University
(Bachelor of Music, Musical Arts and American History, 2004)