Damian Scattini is a partner in Quinn Emanuel’s Sydney office. He has 30 years’ commercial litigation experience.
Damian is one of the leading corporate plaintiff and class action lawyers in Australia.
He has represented many thousands of individuals, partnerships and companies in hundreds of actions, both in Australia and the USA.
Currently, Damian is finalising the resolution of the Takata consumer class actions in the Supreme Court of New South Wales, on behalf of many thousands of Australian car owners. The appellate cases arising out of this litigation have rebalanced and set the law governing the conduct and resolution of class actions throughout Australia. Damian is also conducting securities class actions on behalf of Australian and international shareholders of ASX listed companies. He also filed the class action against the State of Victoria for losses to many thousands of businesses caused by the botched operation of hotel quarantine in that state in 2020.
Clients regularly comment on his strategic acumen, judgment, professionalism and relentless drive to generate successful outcomes for his clients.
- Developed and implemented redress schemes with Australia’s leading banks on behalf of thousands of individuals who had been leveraged into inappropriate loans by a collapsed financial planning company. The Storm Financial Resolution Schemes became the template for other redress schemes following the 2008 financial crisis. The various redress schemes resulted in compensation to investors worth over $300 million.
- Led Australia's largest class action to date in relation to Queensland's devastating 2011 floods.
- Was the first to file and settle a securities class action under the new class action regime in the Supreme Court of Queensland.
- He has acted in numerous product liability cases, including for the families and survivors after two Australian Army helicopters crashed, killing 18 special forces troops and injuring others.
- Conducted to judgment or settlement over 500 negligence and misleading and deceptive conduct claims against hotel operators, property developers and associated professional firms arising out of property marketing scams in Australia.
- Class Action Litigation
- Environmental Litigation
- Lender Liability & Other Banking Financial Institution Litigation
- Litigation Representing Plaintiffs
- Product Liability & Mass Torts Litigation
- Real Estate Litigation
- Transnational Litigation
- Shareholder Activist Litigation
- Corporate Governance Litigation
- Queensland University of Technology
- University of Queensland
- Supreme Court of New South Wales and Queensland
- High Court and Federal Court of Australia
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in Australia 2021 and 2022 for Product Liability Litigation.
- Recognised in Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2019 – Australia for Dispute Resolution and Class Actions, where his noted as being a “field expert” and bringing “insightful leadership” to his cases.
- Member, Queensland Law Society
- Member, Australian Lawyers Alliance
- Member and former Governor, American Association for Justice (formally the Association of Trial Lawyers of America)
- Member, Law Council of Australia, Federal Litigation Section’s Class Action Committee
- Former Chair and Elected Executive Member, Law Council of Australia, Legal Practice Section
- Former Chair, Law Council of Australia Consumer Law Committee
- Member, Trial Lawyers for Public Justice