Valerie is a partner in the Los Angeles office and has been with the firm since 2008. Her practice focuses on complex business litigation, with an emphasis on intellectual property disputes. She has significant experience with patent, trade secret and trademark litigation. Valerie has extensive trial experience in state and federal courts throughout the country and has spent hundreds of days in trial trying some of the largest intellectual property cases of the last decade.
Valerie holds an undergraduate degree in finance and has substantial experience developing damages strategies, particularly in patent infringement cases. In the smartphone wars, she played an integral role in devising Samsung’s damages strategy, which resulted in a jury award of less than 5.5% of Apple’s requested $2.2 billion damages. In a 2016 trade secret theft trial where she represented a large pharmaceutical company, Valerie was a critical member of the trial team that held the non-profit plaintiff to less than 1% of its requested damages. Valerie was trial counsel for Qualcomm in a 2019 patent infringement case against Apple that resulted in a complete victory for Qualcomm, with a Southern California jury finding all asserted patents valid and infringed and awarding Qualcomm the full amount of damages sought. Valerie was the architect of Qualcomm’s successful damages strategy in that matter, as well as its successful attack on Apple’s damages theories and the admissibility of Apple’s damages expert’s main opinions.
- Red Bull
- Obtained a complete plaintiff victory for Qualcomm in a patent infringement trial in the Southern District of California. Qualcomm prevailed on all asserted patents and was awarded the full damages it sought.
- Obtained complete defense victory as well as substantial damages and a permanent injunction in a trademark infringement and unfair and deceptive trade practices action on behalf of DIRECTV in the Eastern District of North Carolina.
- Defeated motion for preliminary injunction and prepared damages case that resulted in damages award of less than 5.5% of the amount Apple sought in an April 2014 trial between Apple and Samsung in the Northern District of California.
- Obtained a defense victory for a large pharmaceutical company in a trade secret misappropriation suit in California state court in which the jury awarded the non-profit plaintiff less than 1% of the damages sought.
- Obtained favorable settlements for a manufacturer of steel construction products in an antitrust and RICO action against seven competitors in Nevada federal court.
- Successfully litigated a cybersquatting claim on behalf of DIRECTV in the Southern District of California.
- University of Texas School of Law
(J.D., with honors, 2008)
- University of Texas
(B.B.A., Finance, with honors, 2004)