Valerie is a partner in the Los Angeles office. Her practice focuses on complex business litigation, with an emphasis on intellectual property disputes. She has significant experience representing plaintiffs and defendants in patent, trade secret and trademark litigation. Valerie holds an undergraduate degree in finance and has substantial experience developing damages strategies, particularly in patent infringement cases. While her practice focuses on intellectual property litigation, Valerie has experience in numerous other areas, including securities litigation, products liability, contract, employment and negligence actions.
Valerie has extensive trial experience in state and federal courts throughout the country and has spent hundreds of days in trial trying some of the largest intellectual property cases of the last decade. Most recently, she was trial counsel for Google in a patent infringement case tried in the Eastern District of Texas in November 2020. After deliberating for just an hour, the jury returned a complete defense verdict for Google.
In 2019, Valerie was trial counsel for Qualcomm in a patent infringement case against Apple that resulted in a complete victory for Qualcomm, with a jury finding all of Qualcomm’s asserted patents valid and infringed and awarding Qualcomm the full amount of damages sought. Valerie was the architect of Qualcomm’s successful damages strategy, as well as its successful attack on Apple’s damages theories.
In a 2016 trade secret theft trial where she represented a large pharmaceutical company, Valerie was a critical member of the trial team that held the non-profit plaintiff to less than 1% of its requested damages. She also played an integral role in devising Samsung’s damages strategy in its smartphone litigation against Apple in 2014, which resulted in a jury award of less than 5.5% of Apple’s requested $2.2 billion damages. Valerie currently represents GoPro in ongoing patent infringement litigation and has successfully argued back-to-back Daubert motions resulting in an over 80% reduction in plaintiff’s damages.
- Red Bull
- Obtained a complete defense victory for Google in a patent infringement trial in the Eastern District of Texas. After just an hour of deliberation, the jury found Google did not infringe any of the four patents-in-suit.
- Obtained a complete plaintiff victory for Qualcomm in a patent infringement trial in the Southern District of California. Qualcomm prevailed on all asserted patents and was awarded the full damages it sought.
- Obtained complete defense victory as well as substantial damages and a permanent injunction in a trademark infringement and unfair and deceptive trade practices action on behalf of DIRECTV in the Eastern District of North Carolina.
- Defeated motion for preliminary injunction and prepared damages case that resulted in damages award of less than 5.5% of the amount Apple sought in an April 2014 trial between Apple and Samsung in the Northern District of California.
- Obtained a defense victory for a large pharmaceutical company in a trade secret misappropriation suit in California state court in which the jury awarded the non-profit plaintiff less than 1% of the damages sought.
- Obtained favorable settlements for a manufacturer of steel construction products in an antitrust and RICO action against seven competitors in Nevada federal court.
- Successfully litigated a cybersquatting claim on behalf of DIRECTV in the Southern District of California.
- University of Texas School of Law
(J.D., with honors, 2008)
- University of Texas
(B.B.A., Finance, with honors, 2004)
- The State Bar of California
- United States District Court:
- Central District of California
- Northern District of California
- Southern District of California