Mr. Proctor, a Quinn Emanuel partner since 2006, focuses his practice on complex, high-stakes litigation at every stage of a case—pre-trial, trial, post-trial and appellate. Mr. Proctor has extensive experience with intellectual property disputes, including those involving copyrights, trademarks, trade dress, design patents and trade secrets, as well as other complex business disputes across a range of industries, including claims of fraud, breach of contract, breach of partnership, unfair competition, RICO violations, antitrust violations, fraudulent transfer, and other claims. Recently, Mr. Proctor has represented Samsung in its design-patent and trade-dress “smartphone wars” with Apple, Mattel in intellectual property battles with a competitor, Snapchat in defending against partnership claims brought by an alleged co-founder, prominent investors in several nine-figure M&A disputes, and other entities and individuals in significant disputes nationwide.
Mr. Proctor’s recent successes include:
- Prevailing at the U.S. Supreme Court on design-patent damages issues in the first design patent case heard by the Court in over a century;
- Obtaining, and defending on appeal, dismissal on the pleadings of nine-figure fraud claims filed in Texas state court arising out of sale of an allegedly “worthless” company;
- Obtaining case-ending sanctions prior to trial, including a full award of damages and fee-shifting, as well as entry of preliminary injunction, affirmed on appeal, halting all sales of competing product;
- Defeating, and defending on appeal, requests for permanent injunctions, despite verdicts and a judgment of liability, and obtaining reversal of a related nine-figure trade-dress judgment on appeal;
- Obtaining vacatur of a nine-figure trade-secrets judgment on appeal.
Before joining Quinn Emanuel, Mr. Proctor graduated in the top 2% of his class from New York University School of Law, and clerked for the Hon. Charles P. Sifton, Chief Judge of the Eastern District of New York. Mr. Proctor has been named one of the top Intellectual Property lawyers in California by Super Lawyers.