Dr. Marcus Grosch is a German qualified attorney (Rechtsanwalt) and Managing Partner of the German offices. He was admitted to practice in 1999. Marcus focuses on IP litigation, with a particular emphasis on patent litigation, and has 20+ years of litigation experience. He has been lead counsel in numerous high-stake cases, including some of the biggest global disputes. His expertise in patent litigation concerns clients and patents of various industries (high-tech, industrial, mechanics, chemical, medical devices, pharma/bio) involving the coordination of lawsuits in multiple jurisdictions.
Marcus is one of the rare German “trial lawyers” (to use the American equivalent) who has led cases in all relevant German courts. He has pleaded cases before the German patent infringement courts at the district court and appellate level, in opposition proceedings at the EPO (including appeal proceedings) and in nullity actions before the German Patent Court and the Federal Supreme Court.
Marcus is regularly awarded top ratings in leading international and German ranking publications. Chambers Europe and Chambers Global have listed him as a “highly regarded patent litigator” in the top band 1 (Intellectual Property: Patent Litigation-Germany) since 2015 and most recently in the 2022 ranking, an impressed source stated that “he is extremely successful in winning even the most difficult arguments; he has an absolutely superb fighting spirit and perfect focus to the clients' needs.” He is also recognized by Chambers Global for his “Foreign Expertise in USA”.
In its 2022 ranking, Legal 500 have again – as they have done since 2015 – recommended Marcus as a “Leading Individual” in the area of patent law, noting the firm’s “exceptionally powerful litigation practice” in Germany and highlighting that Marcus’ team are “one of the top addresses for business-critical patent disputes”.
IAM Patent 1000 also ranks Marcus as a “Leading Individual” for patent infringement cases in Germany, stating that he “has chalked up 20 years of courtroom experience in high-stakes, multi-jurisdictional battles”.
For the past 15 years JUVE, the leading German legal directory, has consistently recognized Marcus as one of the leading individuals in the field of patent litigation (tier one). JUVE quotes opposing counsel who called him a “difficult opponent. He always knows his cases extremely well” and commented on his “outstanding presence in the courtroom“. JUVE Patent lauds him for his excellent work in complex litigation matters.
Who’s Who Legal ranks Marcus as “Global Leader” for the area of “IP – Patents” and both a “Thought Leader” and a “National Leader” for the area of “Germany - Patents” in 2021, specifically emphasizing the acclaim he earns “for his extensive experience representing clients from high-tech industries and the life sciences sector in the full range of patent litigation proceedings”.
Managing Intellectual Property’s IP Stars listed Marcus as a “Patent Star” for Germany in 2022. The most recent rankings awarded by WirtschaftsWoche (Legal All Stars/Patent Law, Top Lawyer 2021/Patent Law) as well as Handelsblatt /Best Lawyers - The Best Lawyers in Germany 2023 (Intellectual Property, Litigation, and Appellate Practice) further reflect his impressive track record of success.
Prior to joining Quinn Emanuel in 2010, he was a partner at Allen & Overy LLP (where he was Head of IP and Litigation in Germany) and a founding name partner of the German IP boutique Schilling & Grosch.
Marcus holds degrees from the University of Mannheim (JD equivalent and Ph.D., summa cum laude) and Yale University Law School (LL.M.). He was a member of the German National Academic Foundation (Studienstiftung des Deutschen Volkes), Germany’s elite scholarship foundation.
Marcus has published books, treatises and articles that have been cited by the German courts, including the Federal Supreme Court on several occasions.
- Jennewein Biotechnologie
- Representing Google in its worldwide dispute against Sonos, in which we recently secured the dismissal of a PI application against Google at the appellate level (Hamburg court). This has been one of the front runner cases regarding strategy in German patent litigation.
- Successfully defending Netflix in a series of patent proceedings against Broadcom before the Mannheim court, the EPO and the Federal Patent Court.
- Successfully defending Google against Philips in the Düsseldorf and the Mannheim infringement courts and at various appellate levels, including the Federal Supreme Court.
- Securing a key injunction for Qualcomm against Apple pertaining to iPhones 8 in the Munich court.
- Securing several injunctions for Blackberry against Facebook, WhatsApp et al. in significant proceedings relating to mobile phone patents in the Munich court.
- Securing an important victory for BASF in a commercially significant dispute over soles for sports shoes in the Düsseldorf court.
- Successfully defending Daimler AG in the dispute over connected cars patents and standard essential patents, one of the largest patent disputes of the past decade, in various courts, including Mannheim, Munich, Düsseldorf, EPO and Federal Patent Court.
- Securing an injunction for a major global medical device manufacturer in the Mannheim court.
- Mannheim University
(Law degree, J.D. equivalent, 1996/97)
- Second State Examination (1999)
- Bar Admission (1999)
- Mannheim University
(PhD, Law (Dr. iur), summa cum laude, 2001/2002)
- Yale University Law School
- Admitted to the German bar (Rechtsanwaltskammer Karlsruhe)
- Allen & Overy:
- Partner, 2007-2010
- Partner, 2007-2010
- Schilling & Grosch:
- Partner, 2002-2006
- Partner, 2002-2006
- Schilling, Zutt & Anschütz, Frankfurt:
- Associate, 1997-2000
- Ranked by Managing IP, Patent Star, IP STARS 2023
- Ranked by Chambers Global in Intellectual Property: Patent Litigation (Germany) Band 1, 2023
- Ranked by Chambers Global in Intellectual Property (Germany) Foreign expert for USA, 2023
- Ranked #3 in the WirtschaftsWoche/Handelsblatt Research Institute “Legal All Star 2022” rankings for Patent Litigation in Germany
- Recognized by Legal 500 Deutschland 2023 as Leading Name for Intellectual Property: Patent Litigation - Tier 1
- Selected for the 2023 edition of the IAM Global Leaders Guide, which features the IP elite from across the IAM Patent 1000 rankings
- Handelsblatt /Best Lawyers - The Best Lawyers in Germany 2023 (Intellectual Property, Litigation, and Appellate Practice)
- Recognized by Who’s Who Legal National Leader – Germany – Patents, 2023
- Recognized by Euromoney’s 2022 Expert Guides, category Best of Best USA and Global
- First award for excellence in academic writing in the German language for his dissertation thesis (awarded by the Mannheim University and the Duden publishing house)
- Awarded scholarships by the German National Academic Foundation (the elite German scholarship foundation), 1992-1996 and by the ERP program in 2000
- Recognized by JUVE as one of the leading individuals in the field of patent litigation since 2012.
- Recognized by JUVE as one of the top 40 German lawyers under 40 years of age, in 2006 and 2012.
- Recognized by Chambers Europe and Chambers Global as “Notable Practitioner”, he has been ranked in Band 1 for patent litigation in Germany since 2015.
- Legal 500 Deutschland 2022 ranked him again as a “Leading Name” for patent litigation in Germany. He has been ranked since 2015.
- Who’s Who Legal 2021 recommends him as Thought Leader in Germany, as well as Global and National Leader (Patents) since 2018.
- Euromoney Expert Guides 2020 ranked him in the “Best of the Best” category for patent litigation in Germany.
- In the 2021 edition of Handelsblatt/Best Lawyers - The Best Lawyers in Germany he was ranked for Intellectual Property and Litigation, as well as being named “Lawyer of the Year – Intellectual Property”. In the 2023 edition has again been ranked for Intellectual Property, and Litigation, as well as Appellate Practice.
- WirtschaftsWoche named him a “Legal All Star” for Patent Law in their 2020 rankings and a “Top Lawyer” for Patent Law in their 2021 rankings.
- IAM Patent 1000: The World’s Leading Patent Professionals has given him top rankings in their 2020 and 2022 edition for patent infringement in Germany.
- In their 2022 rankings Marcus was again named a “Patent Star” by Managing IP: IP Stars, having been ranked since 2016.
- Prozessrecht (Hauptsacheverfahren und Zwangsvollstreckung zum Unterlassungsanspruch) im UWG Großkommentar, Dritter Band, § 12 Abschnitt A, 3. Auflage 2020
- Rezension Thomas Kühnen, Handbuch der Patentverletzung, 12. Auflage 2020, GRUR 2020 S. 594 f.
- Handbook on Know-How Protection, editor and co-author with C. Ann, M. Loschelder (Heymans, 2010)
- Zum Streitgegenstand im Patentverletzungsprozess unter Berücksichtigung der Rechtsprechung zum Wettbewerbs- und Markenprozess, Festschrift for Tilman Schilling, pp. 207 – 236 (2007)
- Gewerbliche Schutzrechte und ihre Durchsetzung, Festschrift for Tilman Schilling, co-author with Prof. Dr. Eike Ullmann (2007)
- Review: Prof. Sack, Unbegründete Schutzrechtsverwarnungen, Mitteilungen der deutschen Patentanwälte, p. 93 (2007)
- Schadensersatzfeststellung und Rechnungslegung für die Zeit nach Schluss der mündlichen Verhandlung? Festschrift for Günther Eisenführ, co-author Tilman Schilling, p. 131 (2003)
- Rechtswandel und Rechtskraft bei Unterlassungsurteilen (Heidelberg, 2002)
- Mitteilungen der deutschen Patentanwälte 2002, p. 485 (comment on a decision of the German Patent Court)
- Freiburg University:
- Lecturer in Patent Law, since 2007
- Member, GRUR
- Member, AIPPI
- Member, German Bar Association (Deutscher Anwaltsverein)